Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PO171 Code with New Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face PO171 Code with New Procharger

Within the last two weeks I have had a brand new Procharger installed on my 2001 FireHawk. 31,000 mile beautiful car, never abused example. 460 LE automatic, 3:23 stock gearing. Borla cat back and x pipe added.The install was done by a local Northern NJ shop that seems to have a good loyal following of performance car customers. Owner is very personable and sincere in his efforts.
Upon picking the car up after install, the Service Needed light kicked on. Put my hand held on on it indicated PO174 lean code. Installer emailed the download back to Procharger. 20 miles after new program loaded the light kicks back on again but with PO171 lean code. Another download comes from Procharger and sure enough 25 miles later the light kicks on. The message I get is always the same Right Bank lean condition. Each time a new download is installed the engine is not as crisp and has an occasional stumbling idle. Also when you have the car in neutral and try to hold a steady 1500 rpm the revolutions go up and down and will not hold steady. Even at 2500 rpm same situation. Of course I am told there is a vacuum leak "somewhere". Some times it will kick on after a short engine off rest. Start it up and bingo the light comes on. Unfortunately no one can tell where. I am suspicious that a hidden line became partially disconnected out of sight in the rear area of motor. My installer is confused and has no experience with this situation though he is trying very hard. I live in Northern NJ but would be willing to do some travel if I could locate a more experienced trouble shooter. Around here there is very few hot rodding shops. If I was in LA my problem would be solved asap ! I sure could use some advice. I know there is a hidden mass air flow sensor at the rear of the engine but only an octopus seems able to be qualified to find it.
I am willing to spend the time and money if I can find someone with more Procharger experience. I have a beautiful car and now it is a little screwed up just in time for warm weather driving. ANY suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

You don't have a hidden mass air flow sensor at the rear of the engine. You need to get it to a dyno tuner or shop that can actually log and troubleshoot it.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly having dealt with a crappy tuner all last summer the only advice I can give you is take it to a good tuner with a good rep as soon as you can. It's probably going to cost a bit, but it'll be well worth the money.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice. I did hook up with a Factory Procharger installer and will be visiting him later this next week.
Even on the phone I could pick up the fact he knew the product and some of the nuances it takes
to set it up right. He also emphasized the fact that the supplied Procharger program is very generic in nature
and is mostly used to get the install up and running and then get a pro dyno tune. The shop that installed my
unit did a good clean job but does not have the the advanced dyno tune set up necessary to get the job done.
I was somewhat naive believing their boxed tune would be sufficient. A good tune is worth its weight on gold.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

It could be a vacuum leak, exhaust leak, bad/stuck 02 sensor, clogged/dirty injector.

Even if the shop doesn't have a dyno they should be able to data log it and see what it's doing.

Just because it has a Procharger on it, the diag process is the same. Most shops automatically blame the tune without actually doing any diag.

I cant tell you how many cars have come into my shop that "just needs a tune" and end up spending thousands of dollars to fix the actual problem.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 05-07-2019 at 03:00 PM.