Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler piping size

Old 05-11-2019, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwtx85 View Post
I have a friend in Dallas with a rear mount turbo ls1 vette with a n/a cam very wrong choice but it was in the car. He used 2" cold/charge piping from back to front with a decent pinch in the pipe by the starter. On3 78/75 turbo. With 12# it made 629rw and 615rw on two diff dunes.
That's on par with a a&a or ecs blower kit with 12# for vettes with ls1s or 241 heads
these fbodys dyno diff for diff variables.
But your 2.5 charge is fine.
A single number is meaningless....but I bet throttle response with the rear mount and all that plumbing was utterly **** compared to the blower. I'd take the blower car every day of the week over that.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
A single number is meaningless....but I bet throttle response with the rear mount and all that plumbing was utterly **** compared to the blower. I'd take the blower car every day of the week over that.
Hehe love the guys who dont experience rear turbos done right. I worked on a car that had ls3 in a fbody with a s475 mounted in the rear. 2.5" piping back to turbo and 2.5" piping from turbo to the tb. Non intercooled with some redneck drugs down the pipe. Only thing that had faster response was a roots/pd blower.
Sizing is everything.
I'm finishing my 01z06 right now. Tr6060/c6z diff. Vsr billet 7875 turbo in the back with 2" pipe to the tb and #5 nozzle at the comp outlet and #10 nozzle before the tb. Should light stupid fast. Should make about 700rw with around 13#.
Gonna hurt lots of feeling. Gonna weigh right about 3100#
Old 05-11-2019, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And some people live in their own little worlds.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
And some people live in their own little worlds.
Idk why they do it. They need to face reality!
Old 05-18-2019, 01:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Idk why they do it. They need to face reality!
I have ran identical size turbos on front and rear mount setups, and you just can't break the laws of thermodynamics. Rear mounts are horribly inefficient compared to front mounts. This is why OEMs are going so far as to reverse intake and exhaust flow through heads to put turbos in a "hot v" setup. There is no dispute that decent numbers and a fun ride can be had with a rear mount, but there is also no dispute that it will always perform poorly compared to a front mount.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe love the guys who dont experience rear turbos done right. I worked on a car that had ls3 in a fbody with a s475 mounted in the rear. 2.5" piping back to turbo and 2.5" piping from turbo to the tb. Non intercooled with some redneck drugs down the pipe. Only thing that had faster response was a roots/pd blower.
Sizing is everything.
I'm finishing my 01z06 right now. Tr6060/c6z diff. Vsr billet 7875 turbo in the back with 2" pipe to the tb and #5 nozzle at the comp outlet and #10 nozzle before the tb. Should light stupid fast. Should make about 700rw with around 13#.
Gonna hurt lots of feeling. Gonna weigh right about 3100#

Post a video when itís done. Iíd like to see how fast it comes into boost in a second gear roll.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: