Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo water cooling

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo water cooling

I'm doing twin garretts . it's not a drag motor . so I want to take advantage of the water cooling ports on the turbo center section . who is running a cooling system INDEPENDENT of the engine cooling system ? I need some ideas . as far as the pump and cooler .
Old 01-05-2020, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 935 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Theduck
I'm doing twin garretts . it's not a drag motor . so I want to take advantage of the water cooling ports on the turbo center section . who is running a cooling system INDEPENDENT of the engine cooling system ? I need some ideas . as far as the pump and cooler .
Why would you run an independent cooling system instead of using the engine cooling system?

Andrew
Old 01-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Cooler temps , it will be run through a separate cooler with a thermostat controlled fan . such as a large trans cooler
Old 01-05-2020, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Honestly garret water cooled turbos are meant to be run at engine temp. I see what your trying to do but i dont think it will be worth it in the end. Save the time and money your gonna spend on this and K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) is my best advice. Believe me im one to over engineer a fly swat but it rarely is better then the original product.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jordoza
Honestly garret water cooled turbos are meant to be run at engine temp. I see what your trying to do but i dont think it will be worth it in the end. Save the time and money your gonna spend on this and K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) is my best advice. Believe me im one to over engineer a fly swat but it rarely is better then the original product.
sometimes I forget to keep it simple.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed water-cooled Garrett twins in 2018 and went over all my options to plumb them. I also came to the conclusion to just keep it simple--I plumbed the two turbos in series, teed off the heater core lines. Heater core feed -> tee to passenger turbo -> hose from passenger turbo to driver turbo -> hose from driver turbo to tee in heater core return. I used 3/8" hard lines at the turbos into 1/2" rubber hoses once they were far enough away from exhaust heat. Probably could have just used 3/8" all the way. They don't really need much flow, they just need to be connected to the cooling system. Clock the center sections correctly and convection will take care of the rest; the magic happens after you shut the car off anyway. 10k street miles later, no complaints.

Last edited by TastyBacon; 01-06-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 01-16-2020, 12:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

This is being waaay overthought
Old 01-16-2020, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

People actually cool non-OEM turbos?
Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

yeah like pikes peak cars and **** have watercooled turbas.

but on your average slidey boi thats in boost a **** ton longer than a drag application, oil cooling is plenty. but like any dorifto you otter have an oil cooler and a monster oil capacity or a dry sump

Quick Reply: Turbo water cooling