Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Flatout Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flatout Gaskets

I see a couple of you guys are running the Flatout Rubber Coated Gaskets and wanted to see how they've been working for you. I'm building an LT1 stroker, (389 3.800 x 4.035), that I want to hit with the juice. My block has been o-ringed and I've heard about a lot of coolant leakage problems with copper gaskets, especially on mostly street driven cars like mine.

Help out a lowly LT1 brother, who just wants to try and keep up with you guys driving "God's Motor" and let me know what your experience has been with these gaskets on street cars.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

ZAngel's gaskets are sealing well so far, NA only. Haven't put the boost to it yet, since her turbo is still sitting about 20 feet away from the car right now

She's put about 1000 miles on 'em so far I think.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:50 AM
7 Second Club

Mine came up after 9 lbs of boost even with o-ringing. Had to switch to 6.0 MLS's on my 408. Could have been a bad experience but I have heard others that have leaked as well. Stock gaskets worked pretty good up to 10 psi for me on my 346.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

I used felpro gaskets, havent fired her up yet, so well see how they hold.

anyone have any experience with them?
thanks
ed
Old 07-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
Mine came up after 9 lbs of boost even with o-ringing. Had to switch to 6.0 MLS's on my 408. Could have been a bad experience but I have heard others that have leaked as well. Stock gaskets worked pretty good up to 10 psi for me on my 346.
Are you using an MLS gasket on an o-ringed block? I really have no interest in using a copper gasket. The only reason I'm considering it is because the block already had o-rings in it when I bought it. Is there any other type of gasket that's compatible with stainless steel o-rings. I believe I've heard of guys running a composite gasket with block o-rings but I'd really like to hear that from someone direct.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:16 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93zm6tally
Are you using an MLS gasket on an o-ringed block? I really have no interest in using a copper gasket. The only reason I'm considering it is because the block already had o-rings in it when I bought it. Is there any other type of gasket that's compatible with stainless steel o-rings. I believe I've heard of guys running a composite gasket with block o-rings but I'd really like to hear that from someone direct.
Yep, sealed tight though it has not seen full boost yet...we'll see.