Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 not FI bound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 not FI bound?

I just read that the new LS2 comes stock with 10.9:1 compression ratio. And here I thought us LS1s had it bad. I seriously doubt we'll see as big an FI following for the new LS2 as we've seen for the LS1. It's a 3V engine correct? I'm wondering if, given an acceptable CR, if 3V would be a significant advantage over a 2V in FI applications? I mean you still have the same size single exhaust port so you won't be able to eliminate spent gases any faster and you now have more weight and more rotational drag. In N/A form I see the advantage of twin intake valves, but in FI is there any advantage to them?

Mike
Old 08-11-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was reading the same thing. Pull the heads of and bolt on some 76cc 225 afr's and Im sure it would lower it enough.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LS2 = LS6 Heads plus an aluminum 6.0L block. The twin intake valve head is for truck motors likely to be released in the future. And speculation for an LS7 is so rampant these days that no one has a reasonable clue as to what it will have until the Detroit auto show in January where it will be unveiled. The only thing that is known about the LS7 is that it will be hand built here in the Detroit area.

So, if you drop a different piston in there you will have the same basic setup as the current Gen III engines. Only major difference will be that some of the sensors have been moved. No reason to not have any FI combos. Just that the stock compression ratio makes it less attractive for those that only want a large boosted stock engine.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

well alot of LS1 turbo cams run more intake duration than exhaust to compensate for a fairly restrictive intake, perhaps another valve would help in that area and alow us to use less intake duration and more exhaust duration to compensate.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Teching In

The fact that the CR is high on the LS2, which is the case with most if not all high displacement, high power NA motors, does not mean there won't be any FI kits or just a few FI kits available for the motor. All it means is that there will very likely be no FI kits which are designed for stock internals due to the high CR. As we all know, the CR can be lowered. I think even an LPE employee said on a forum that LPE is planning a TT kit for the C6.