Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Land and Sea Dyno Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land and Sea Dyno Question

Did a dyno pull at dyno day on Saturday. Anyway it was a load type dyno (water brake setup) from Land and Sea. It measures torque directly.

Anyway my car is a Incon TT setup with 9 psi of boost on 91 octane, low timing (15 deg a max power). Car is an A4 and ran a 12.6 at 111 mph in quarter last weekend at track altitude of 4200 ft.

Dyno was with the following conditions:

88 deg F, 45.6 humidity, Barometric pressure 26.4

According to the dyno my car made a whopping 300 lb/ft of torque at 3300 rpm then following off to about 200 lb/ft. Hp maxed out at 204 hp at 4600 rpm and then following off to 100 hp. These numbers are supposed to be corrected to "standard" conditions. Car never really loaded up and pulled way to fast. I did not get a chance to watch the boost and since I did not plan on running did not have my laptop logging the pcm or my in car wideband. The dynos wideband was showing 10.5:1 AFR, my car runs 11.5:1 down the track. So they were definetly not loading the car enough.

It was not just my car a stock a4 2000 corvette made 120 hp max and about the same torque. A supercharged viper (runs about the same ET as me but with 7-8 mph higher) had 535 hp but 280 lb/ft of torque - don't think so. The viper got like 4 runs because by this time they new they definetly had some problems, especially with computer controlled cars.

According to everything I have read the dyno has to be loaded more and more either by hand or with the computer until power drops off. They were not doing that and were just having us pull into we hit redline. All pulls were done with a 1:1 transmission ratio (3rd gear in my case).

Anyway I will be calling Land and Sea tomorrow, since the place could not answer any of my questions.

So questions is what did they screw up, I am assuming they just did not load the cars up enough so the crappy numbers?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Something isn't right I've heard a couple negative things about land and sea dyno(the brand) too. I pulled this off another site(diesel truck site) sounds like the same problem too, the dyno(land and sea) was new to the operator and they had to load it different ways to get decent numbers.
Quote From the post:
I ran on the dyno today. The operator is really new to using his dyno. It was his first truck and his first diesel too! The first run we only got 380TQ and I told him there was no way that was right. After 6 runs of trying different loading technics on the dyno we managed 641TQ at 1920rpm! I'm happy with that result. The HP is another story, I don't think we loaded the engine enough to get real #'s above 2000. There's no way I've got max HP at 1920 also. 235HP at 1920rpm is really good in my books though. I think if we tried different loading we could reach my goal of 300HP. This proves why this truck pulls like a freight train when loaded! Any suggestions on how to get proper HP #'s would be appreciated.
Thanks JC
Just run up here to Albuquerque and have Chris dyno it on his dynojet. He is awesome at dynoing turbo cars so you should have good luck. Chance for a road trip too
J
Old 08-22-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Something isn't right I've heard a couple negative things about land and sea dyno(the brand) too. I pulled this off another site(diesel truck site) sounds like the same problem too, the dyno(land and sea) was new to the operator and they had to load it different ways to get decent numbers.
Quote From the post:

Just run up here to Albuquerque and have Chris dyno it on his dynojet. He is awesome at dynoing turbo cars so you should have good luck. Chance for a road trip too
J
Yeah I saw quite a few posts same results. I think the curve is pretty representive, just way low to low. I am pulling so much timing up top the car so the car does not pull that well. Everyone who watches my quarter mile runs says the things, car hauls big time until third gear -still accelerates just not as much. The place I got it dyno was doing it as a promotion and had never run a computer controlled car.

I will be doing some tuning this week with 100 octane, some more timing and maybe a little more boost if thing go well. The car was running 116 mph in the quarter in january with the same tune (well I did fatten it up a little for the summer).

Gary
Old 08-22-2004, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

There is a mustang dyno in El Paso. There is a locator on their website. Actually there are two, one is Abcom transmission and the other is an import shop.

Quick Reply: Land and Sea Dyno Question