Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about turbos and compression.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Question about turbos and compression.

I am looking at getting a turbo kit from a member on here and wanted to ask a question about my engines compression. I am running a iron block 408 with forged bottom end so I know that ok. My pistons are 11:1 pistons and my heads are 5.7 liter heads that have been milled .030. Now I am probably running higher than 11:1 because of that but how is this going to affect what I want to do with my turbo set up? Am I even going to be able to do it with my compression that high? I wanted to get the kit on and run low boost until I could get 6.0 liter heads and drop the compression and up the boost. Hell I can even run higher octane fuel until I can get the heads. Does this seem feasible?? Is 11:1 to high for a turbo set up?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds a lot like what I'm wanting to do. I'm running 11.5 c/r, but I only want to run about 5 PSI until next year when I get the 408 then I'll lower the c/r and up the boost. I've had a few people tell me that it would be ok to do, but that I wouldn't see a whole lot of gains from the 5 PSI. Then I have had other tell me that I would. Currently I put down 450rwhp, but I want to get to 525-550 with 5 psi. Not sure if it's possible, but I'm going to give it a shot this winter.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you pull enough timing and run high enough octane it can work. but id try real hard to get your CR down.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

So it will be ok for a little while? I will get it tuned as soon as I put the kit on and only run small amounts of boost until the heads are replaced.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im with everyone else if you pull enuf timing and run some high octane youll be ok. Good luck with it wayne it will definately be a beast when you can turn up the boost. What size turbo are you going with?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chety
im with everyone else if you pull enuf timing and run some high octane youll be ok. Good luck with it wayne it will definately be a beast when you can turn up the boost. What size turbo are you going with?

Its a T-76. I would have liked it to be bigger but I think it will be ok.

Quick Reply: Question about turbos and compression.