Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Heads vs. Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads vs. Cam

I have decided to go with the SD 8 rib system now (thanks to those who responded in my last thread) and am hopeing for 8-9 pounds. My next question is while I am having this done shoud I get a set of P&P heads with bigger valves or go with a blower cam or neither?

I have the money to do only one or the other. What gains have people seen doing a cam after they had the blower on and same thing for heads only? Will doing the cam do the same as heads let me make the same power at lower boost levels?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:06 PM
8 second mod

In forced induction i would say a nice set of heads would do much more for you, seems alot of people with forced induction run stock or smaller cams, so i say go with a nice set of heads.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

If I were in you're situation I'd do a fairly aggressive blower cam. I have a baby blower cam and I wish everday that I went more aggressive. Also it will be cheaper than new heads. Noyzee probably knows more than I do though.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:30 PM
8 second mod

i put a bigger cam in my car and made no more power, it just sounded better, the wide lsa in the turbo car seemed to work well. i ran a 222/218 563/563 @116 and it worked well. the person who bought this cam also is making great #'s with it. however a set of lq9's would make it a tad safer with a compresion drop, but flow outstanding. or a Great set of ls1's, or for big $$$ go with ls6 or afr's. im loving my ls6 heads, but with my turbo setup i ran 317 (lq4) done by east side, and they worked very well, and droped compresion. hard to say, im giving you my opinion, so let others give theres, and remember your building the car for you, not us so ultimetly, what do you want. good luck either way
Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

A cam swap will make more power but a swap to lower compression heads will reduce compression by up to a half point so it's a modest increase in power and a nice drop in engine compression.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the cam first and the heads later. If you do the cam later you have to take of of the stuff out from infront of the motor. A head swap you just have to drop the headers.