Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Newbie Interested in STS kit or a custom turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Newbie Interested in STS kit or a custom turbo setup

I am new on this board here and I have a 99 sierra with a 5.3.

all the truck has is intake and exhaust with some big and heavy *** wheels. gears and E locker are going in real soon it's got a brand new built tranny, and The motor is stock.

I was originally looking into an ATI ProCharger, But I like the idea of the STS kit. I have been doing alot of research lately on Forced induction, and I really cant wait too much longer since my truck's a flat out dog right now.

I have been thinking of buying a turbo separtaely and Piecing together a kit, getting some 42lb injectors and fule pump, then getting it tuned right after.

I really like the STS kit, but there is only one concern I have about it.... Ground clearance. My truck is lowered 3/6 and I am wondering if it's gunna be an issue with the piping that comes with the STS kit.

I figure if I can get a turbo(I have no Idea what one would be the right turbo for my setup) then I can run the piping myself, since I have the resources.

Where is the best place to start looking for parts? What all do I need to build up a complete kit for my truck? Do I need a wastegate and a blowoff valve with an auto? I don't plan on intercooling it right now, so rear mouting seems easy and logical.

I am pretty much opened to all suggestions. I really would like the spend as little as possible with a realistic rwHP goal of 375-450. Let me know what you all think.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent you a PM
Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

There is alot more to the kit than just the metal piping and that stuff is a lot more difficult to duplicate unless you really know what you're doing. A lot of people assume it is simple to build their own kit but IMO that's not so... If you have the resources and the knowledge I say go for it but as SLYWS6 found out. It could have been cheaper to just buy a kit unless you are a perfectionist like he is.

To get 450rwhp I would expect to spend at least $5k for your truck.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the 5.3 swap in an lq4 9.5 CR. Beaf it up with rod bolts and main cap studs and heads studs. Now you should have picked up a good amout of power. Drop in a ls6 cam witch will help. Now do your sts turbo and run 5-7psi and spray your meth ontop of this. You should get your 450 easy.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

does anybody have a parts list made of of one of their custom setups?

Quick Reply: Newbie Interested in STS kit or a custom turbo setup