Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Something new this way comes

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Something new this way comes

Sadly, the twins turbo kit is sold and was shipped out today. It was a minor fit of insanity that caused me to sell it, but Im not the type to back out of an agreement. Basically, I want to do the work myself this time. I think that better positioning when an issue arises. I tried the outsourcing thing to save time, but it doesnt save time in the end.
I want to be unique, as thats just my style. But after feeling boost, I can never go back.
I've debated sharing this time, as there are so many "Im gonna do this" stories. Last time I shared the "gonna do" but never talked about the actual process.

This time I hopeit to be different if anyone cares to see. I was considering either hanging the turbos out of the hood and getting "true" ram air..right into the turbos. I do not drive the car except locally, and when dry. I decided I am going to do that...but not with this car. It would be sacreligious to do that to a 30th Anniv Convert.
I am doing twins again, but they will be sort of STS style. I'd like to prove some naysayers wrong (am hopefully not myslef).
Im shooting for 800+ (Solid) at the rear. I had the turbos spec'd today.
I have contacted STS and as many of you know they are busy beavers, but I beleive they will have some involvement. Luckily I have some mula to play with as I was gonna drop dime on a C6, but decided to wait a year or 3.
I'm hoping for 15-20+ lbs of boost if I can pull it off. The hardest part is the plumbing to the intercooler. My BMR TracPak cross memebr is welded to my SFCs and leave little room in the dip for more than the 3" exhaust duals.
I have had a local carbon fiber expert look at the undercarriage and they may make some custom IC pipes to make it much more manageable.
Ive even considered runing through the floor board over the cross bar, then back under the car.
I do have concerns about efficiency, and the system in general, but Im an optomist to a point.
I think twins will help with spool and overall power...as even big singles can not operate as well throughout the entire power range in my opinion (mostly street, not strip) . Im sure there are great arguments for this, just going from personal experience and map review.
Heres a question for those who'd like to add input. What would the effect be of an X pipe before the turbos?
For that matter what would the effect be if I ran one large IC pipe instead of two small ones (connected the IC pipes via "y"). I'd have to add another "y" before the intercooler as mine has 2 inputs.(cant easily change the IC) What if I did both?
This is a fully forged 409 ci. w/ 8.25 to 1 compression w/ AS S3 6.0 heads and Incolnel valves ETC.
Im working on intake air location...looking at the quarters and trunk lid for possible molded additions, but likely wont do that due to the dreaded potential "rice look" and my desire to look bone stock.
Im changing most things under the hood to look bone stock. I will be using stock ex. manifolds as well.
There is nothing in the car mechanically or structurally not ready as it was prepared for the previous system. Wish me luck with the plumbing and the power. BTW, I do plan on BS3 once a piggy back is developed to run the gauges...If no one steps up to the plate for that I'll be forced to go Gen 7...which is inferior in my partially educated opinion.
I do not expect to be able to make the same power as the previous system, not will it be as efficient, but powerful and unique is the overall goal.
Go ahead, tell me Im silly.
Jammer

Last edited by Jammer; 10-07-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup your silley, you finally got your set up done, then sell it now this.

i had a couple of questions about the STS kit

what brand oil scavenge pump do they use?
how does the oil return, i though i read somewhere that it returns through the valve cover? where at in the valve cover?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:08 AM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something new this way comes.... may the force be with you
Old 10-08-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the kit comes with a factory oil cap with a hole drilled and tapped. A brass fitting goes in and the oil line is connected with a coupler like and air hose.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok now what oil return pump?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
ok now what oil return pump?
Im not sure which oil pump I'll be using, or where I will run the returns at this point. Im waiting for STS to get back to me with confirmation they want to be part of the project. I think they will. If not, there are other options.
There no excuse to sell the other kit other than a "fit" of insanity. I get those sometimes. It was a tight system to work around and changing the head gasket was alot of work...in the middle of the project with some bleeding knuckles is when I listed it. In the end it wasnt all that bad.
If I cant get a good rush like before I'll be quite disapointed.
Saw an STS car run today...wasnt awed to much...but I think it basically a stock motor and it was a stick...all that wasted boost on sticks!!!!
We shall see...I'll try to post pics as I go.