Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

can i run an FMIC with an underdash A/W???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default can i run an FMIC with an underdash A/W???

just gonna keep this simple as i'm running late for work. is there anything that would prevent this from being possible? my setup is a 427sbc, at least an 88mm turbo, and going for upwards of 1200hp+. i want an a/w for track duty, but an fmic for street when i drop the boost level, so no need for ice all the time. any help would be very much appreciated, as well as interesting.

thanks,
Dave
Old 11-17-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just add a large heat exchanger for the water to make it streetable.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt...........for more thoughts on this.

thanks,
Dave
Old 11-17-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S_J_H
Just add a large heat exchanger for the water to make it streetable.
ding ding ding.

I run an air-to-water intercooler in my Mustang, it's about 85% street car, 10% road course, and 5% drag strip. I run a large heat exchanger from fluidyne, it was about 300 dollars and originally was built for 03/04 cobras. I run 3 small puller fans on it, and it keeps water temps very low running on the street as well as the track. I have an 8 gallon fuel cell in the back for water, 2 ford lightning water pumps (one pushing one pulling) to circulate water, and IAT's are always near ambient unless I put ice in it.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eviltwins
ding ding ding.

I run an air-to-water intercooler in my Mustang, it's about 85% street car, 10% road course, and 5% drag strip. I run a large heat exchanger from fluidyne, it was about 300 dollars and originally was built for 03/04 cobras. I run 3 small puller fans on it, and it keeps water temps very low running on the street as well as the track. I have an 8 gallon fuel cell in the back for water, 2 ford lightning water pumps (one pushing one pulling) to circulate water, and IAT's are always near ambient unless I put ice in it.

Nice setup u have there.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Correct me if I am wrong here. For a mostly street car. Would'nt there be 0 benefit with a Air to water setup. Not only would it be extremely heavy. Probably 150lb versus only 25lb. It would heat up after an hour of driving and be LESS effective. The air to air should cool faster at driving speeds. Air cools much faster then water. Plus thats ALOT of extra stuff in the car. Plus, thats ALOT of money! The only benefit I see with an air to water is if it is always going to remain full of Ice, Which realistcly, you are not going to do for street driving all the time. I would say for a mostly street car, a properly sized air to air is the only way to go! Temps will remain close to ambient with a good air to air, I'ts a 1/3 of the cost, and a 1/5 of the weight. Thats just my opinion.

Quick Reply: can i run an FMIC with an underdash A/W???