What i am looking for what is the best ring for steet/strip...LT1355+T-Trim

I have looked for info on tool steel rings can't find any
Hard to find info on the hell fire rings

Alot og people say speed pro PM ring

What are you setting your gap at on your Fi eng
Old 12-18-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has to be some input on the hell fire rings are they worth it...

what about tool steel rings..
Old 12-18-2004, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

HPE is putting them in my new motor......I hope they are as good as they said they were. Guess I will find out soon.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanted to do helfire rings on mine, but they dont come smaller then a 4" bore

id think they would be worth it even though i havent tried them but wanted to.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:29 AM
8 Second Club

Hell Fire rings are the best rings, they're made by total seal.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Actually, Hell Fire rings are Speed-Pro. Total Seal's version is the TNT ring.

A tool steel or stainless top ring is the best if you want to not go in and replace rings on a regular basis in a HIGH HP application. They just take the abuse and hold their tension better. But, they are very hard. And will take it out on your bores. They are, after all, tool steel.

The Hell Fires are a treated iron ring if i recall. But will deal w/ the abuse better.

Unless you start changing ring profiles, or thicknesses, the sealing isn't that make better. You just get a ring that will last longer
Old 12-20-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Thx people , But i understand that Hell fire rings are the best...BUT how hard are they on the walls what are we talkinjg here...

My car is going to be a 90% Daily Driver 8000km a year...10% track, with this said i don't want to bit rings in every year or 2...

or is this sominthing you have to do when you do a FI eng....then what would be the other ring to put in there Total seal pm????
Old 12-21-2004, 12:26 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the hellfire rings in my 408, i am only up to 300miles but so far so good. i am up to 8psi and it runs freeking hard.

i gave the motor about 150easy miles and another 50 sorta easy miles as i started to roll into the boost. from what i can tell there was no break in period. it ran great right from the start, no smoke or anything. the best thing about them is the name.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FMS is putting those rings in the 383 YSi motor. after doing some research they seem to be a great choice in high hp apps.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

Opps sorry yes they're made from speed pro. I thought I read somewhere one time that they were easier on the cylinder walls?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

The hellfire rings are a treated moly base coated ring that when detonated will flake off and then you will really have problems. If they are treated right, they will work better than a standard ring. They will hold their tension longer and are not affected by heat as much as a standard ring. They are not as hard on a cylinder wall as say a true tool steel ring. The C&A G2000 rings are a true tool steel ring and are very hard on a cylinder wall. They will last through just about any abuse you throw at them. I have even seen people reuse them in two to three rebuilds.
In your case I would say that you should be looking into a standard ring set. That will be your best case and your longest lasting ring.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
The hellfire rings are a treated moly base coated ring that when detonated will flake off and then you will really have problems. If they are treated right, they will work better than a standard ring. They will hold their tension longer and are not affected by heat as much as a standard ring. They are not as hard on a cylinder wall as say a true tool steel ring. The C&A G2000 rings are a true tool steel ring and are very hard on a cylinder wall. They will last through just about any abuse you throw at them. I have even seen people reuse them in two to three rebuilds.
In your case I would say that you should be looking into a standard ring set. That will be your best case and your longest lasting ring.

Ok thx...then at what level of power or boost do you need the hell fire rings..

where do tool steel ring fall into place in all this

What would be a standard ring,

With all the rings above what is there life span..and cyl wall life....
Old 12-21-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed Chris about purchasing some Daimond pistons from him and I also asked him about the Hell Fire rings for my application. A 357 ci LT1 with about 8.5 to 1 compression and 15 to 18 pounds of intercooled boost. Below is what he had to say.

If I were you, I wouldn't run the hellfire rings. They are hard on the cylinder walls and will not benefit you in anyway for what you are doing. Diamond's proselect ring set will be just fine for what you are looking to do. They will last under the boost that you intend to run.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Little update for anyone interested. I just got off the tech line with Federal Mogul from speaking with them about their Hell Fire rings. I explained that my car is going to see very minimal, if any track use and only sees about 300 to 500 miles a year. I explained that there is a big concern about the longevity of these rings (Hell Fire) on cylinder walls and problems with them scarring the walls and they stated that the Hell Fire rings are no harder on cylinder walls then a standard PLasma Moly set. They said that there should be no problems. I also spoke with another board memeber here and on Camaroz28.com that has them in his car and he just did a tear down after 14K miles and they showed no abnormal wear on the walls. So, looks like I am going with the Hell Fire's along with my Diamond Blower pistons.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

http://nsca-racing.com/forums/archiv....php/t-49.html

Quick Reply: Hell fire rings