Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

$4,000 saved, FI or heads and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesnt whine, it just sucks really loud. It's got such a short intake tubing that you hear the throttle body alot more, espcially if it's an aftermarket. put a CAI on it and listen. You'll see what im talking about. I have open exhaust and i can hear my CAI over it with my windows down. It just sounds so mean. Mines an LT1 though, so yours probably sounds different. You have much different intake.

Here is a pic of my LT1 ram air hood after i finished repairing and modifying it it from the 75mph deer escapade. The filter sits directly behind the opening of that hood, so it's a straight ram air setup. i even removed the water baffles. I believe the LS1 hoods snaked the intake tubing around though, and werent as efficient. This hood is made by SLP, and it's a 1996-1997 WS6 hood that i cut out the divider, widened the openings, and removed the water baffles.

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...ctures/hd3.jpg

Here is a pic before i did anything

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...ures/hoodb.jpg

The whole page about it

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~3.8/index.html

Last edited by Shawn MacAnanny; 01-22-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These posts confuse me sometimes...Your 4 grand is all going to go to the LE2, bolt-ons, & custom tuning you want/need, etc...Does that include labor or are you going to do it yourself?

But you're going to do all that and not upgrade the stall, gears, and trans?? With that set-up, I assure you your car will be a major DOG down-low with the stock stall and some 2.73's...It's going to take a heck of a tune to not have many drivability issues/surging with a cam like that in your A4...I say do it right and upgrade the stall (3000+), gears (3.42's or 3.73's), and transmission to hold all of that power...And you should still have enough left for the headers...This way, your car will basically be SET for the H/C and be a LOT more fun to drive IMO before you get the LE2 package...Your stock motored car with a nice stall on Nittos will absolutely rape your same car out of the hole with a big H/C set-up using a stock stall/gears. Sure you'll have much more power on the TOP-end, but what fun is that if it takes your stock stall forever to get the car in it's newer/higher powerband? Like I said, do it the right way first instead of just jumping straight to the "cool" idea of H/C right off the bat.

Also, will you have any money saved up for a rebuild in case your motor blows up? I'm sure you've already heard this before, but LT1's with higher mileage are notorious for going down the $hitter after the engine is opened up...(Sometimes it's the install, sometimes it's also the mileage/extra revs)...You're motor doesn't have a LOT of miles on it, but it's not young either like the other guy already stated...So just be prepared in case...

My .02 anyway,

Mike
Old 01-23-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be doing all of the work myself. If i get gears,they will be done by a shop. Maybe the transmission too depending on if i can get the stall out on the ground.

Mainly I want to be able to take a car froma roll. I woudl say 90% of all the races people try to start with my are from a 60mph roll. This is perfect for the 2.73s because they dont shift out of 2nd until almost 100mph. The 2nd most popula race speed is 30mph, which is pefect for my 1st gear. I actually like the 2.73s and since i will be doing most all of the races from a roll, the stall shouldnt matter. If i replace the stall, i will replace the transmission at the same time. This way i dont have to worry about either of them. The problem is i dont have enough money saved up to do that right now.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i were you, I'd wait until I at least got a stall converter w/ your setup. It is a world of difference. Believe me.

Quick Reply: $4,000 saved, FI or heads and cam?