Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Borla pipe is in the wrong place for STS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Borla pipe is in the wrong place for STS

Mocked up my STS last night. When I ordered the kit, I told them I had a Borla, so they made the end of their exhaust pipe big enough to go over a 3" pipe.

But the Borla ends too close to the axle, and too far toward the center of the car. I could fix the left/right alignment by cutting the STS pipe down some (but I'd lose the 3" flare...)

No good way to fix the problem with the pipe being too close to the axle though... The turbo is right on the panhard, and pointing way too far down.

So I'm trying to scrounge up a take-off LS1/LT1 pipe. But then the 3" flare on the STS is going to be too big...

If you get an STS and have a Borla, I'd plan on just getting the standard exhaust pipe with the kit, and put a stock i-pipe back on the car.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, and if you try to keep the Borla, you have to figure out some way to permanantly block off that place where the adjustable plates would go...

And that straight part with the plates is in the way of the tailpipe too.

The bright side is that now I'll be taking off a complete Borla, not just parts of it, so it should be easier for the next person to fit it to their car.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always suggest that if you have an aftermarket exhaust, take it off and sell it. There is no reason to cut it up. We have done a couple with Borla, and you can make it work with just a little fab work. Still, if you can get a stock I pipe, then I would.
Fit the stock I pipe on and then put the turbo and pipe on with the turbo and check the clearance. Make sure you dont need to cut any off. Take it back off and go to an exhaust shop and have them expand the I pipe so that the STS pipe is tighter on it. Get everything in place and weld a bead!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trtturbo
I always suggest that if you have an aftermarket exhaust, take it off and sell it.
Now you tell me.

Just kidding... That is good to know though.

That's why I posted this, so maybe somebody will see it before they get into the middle of the install. I can see how it could work if the STS pipe was cut down a bit, and had an offset welded to it. But I don't have a welder or any pipe or any way to bend it... Just a quickie do-it-at-home job.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the stock I pipe it will work perfectly. Just have a muffler shop expand the I pipe a little so its a tighter fit inside the STS pipe.

Quick Reply: Borla pipe is in the wrong place for STS