Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cleaning Intercoolers...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning Intercoolers...?

How often should you clean your intercoolers out? ie: gunk, oil, whatever...
Once a year?

What is the right method/cleaner to use?

TIA.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning intercooler

Jerry(cablebandit chime in on this) lol sorry could not take it. low blow still funny though.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

i just cleaned mine for the first time in probably 20 years. you can put paint thinner or gas in it and then just slosh it back and forth and repeat until the gas is clear then rinse it out with water.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club

I don't ever do it unless I had a reason to. Ive had a turbo self distruct and I had a couple of qts of oil in the IC at one time.

lots of carb cleaner or gasoline, then chase it out with a water hose, let dry in the sun. Then disconnect the throttle body pipe and spool it aa few times to get the last little bit out.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Cablebandit cleans his with water and then tries to run it thru the motor. Not a good thing.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:48 PM
How do I change this text

At the shop I work at, we tie the steam cleaner wand in the intake and let it run for about a half hour to flush it.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Cablebandit cleans his with water and then tries to run it thru the motor. Not a good thing.
Ouch! Don’t let him fool you, he did it subconsciously so he could do a bullet proof bottom end and crank the boost to max.
He seas stuff like “o I’m happy w/ 10.5’s, I don’t need to go faster then that”. But you knew that new bottom was coming.
Next year it’ll be twin 76’s, cause “o I dropped my screw driver into the turbo blade… both sides.” (picture southern drawl when you read quotes)
Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oooh, tough crowd here. brake cleaner will probably do the best job. just watch out for plastic / rubber parts that may be destroyed by it's superior cleaning power
Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

How often you clean it depends on if you have a fresh air line from the valve cover tied into it. With the way Incon had the fresh air setup you would want to clean it out every couple months max. Other setups may be better. I don't run a fresh air line to the intercooler now and it stays nice and clean. To bad I cant say that about the outside of my scavenge pump lately. I just cleaned mine with a "orange" degreaser or simple green and paper towel, followed by lots of water and then several days to dry.

Gary
Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can say it would not hurt. I bought a previously owned kit. Filled a large bucket- rubbermaid container filled with keosine. Let them soak, and would turn and move around once in a while. Got a lot of oil and crud out of the them. I then washed with hot water, now clean as new. I know it was a good move after I saw what came out.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:38 AM
9 Second Club

fill it with water...dont disconnect the tb hose cause you think you got it all out. Crank motor and when it hydrolocks, pull out the motor and everything is easy to access. I cleaned the oil pan too while I was at it!! Oh, I didn't change the bottom end..still got stock rods.
ESR--you don't own a car..why are you on this site?
TTSSZ--you don't have and never have had a turbo...why are u in this section?
QUICKSILVERADO--I am calling Brenda and telling her we went to a titty bar and YOU PAID!!
After my last f-up, I'm scared to even think about cleaning em.hell i wont even clean the k&n filters now!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=cablebandit]TTSSZ--you don't have and never have had a turbo...why are u in this section?

But the twin turbo stickies on my hood make it go real fast.
(on second pic note s/s screens and no fog lights)
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning Intercoolers...?-tttree.jpg   Cleaning Intercoolers...?-screen.jpg  
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

yeah your right just an upgraded electric blower like on ebay instead of t76 its an E-76 standing for E=electric

Originally Posted by cablebandit
fill it with water...dont disconnect the tb hose cause you think you got it all out. Crank motor and when it hydrolocks, pull out the motor and everything is easy to access. I cleaned the oil pan too while I was at it!! Oh, I didn't change the bottom end..still got stock rods.
ESR--you don't own a car..why are you on this site?
TTSSZ--you don't have and never have had a turbo...why are u in this section?
QUICKSILVERADO--I am calling Brenda and telling her we went to a titty bar and YOU PAID!!
After my last f-up, I'm scared to even think about cleaning em.hell i wont even clean the k&n filters now!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
9 Second Club

Stu those stickers add a LOT!!!!! I like the grills....too bad you don't have a real turbo like my twin E-76s!!

Eric, note my new sig!! If I can't blow my competitors away at the track, I will at least blow the starting line clean!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
9 Second Club

I have this reoccuring dream.....helicopters...spotlights.....police with guns drawn..."Mr. cablebandit.....please step away from the waterhose!!" What does it all mean?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .....

water is you kryptonite superman (703hp) (770)TQ or shall I say unbrakeable (bruce willis movie)
Old 02-02-2005, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

look at that spelling...no wonder your car is slow!!! I will post your dyno sheet for ya in a bit.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Man I have brokers breathing down my neck barely have time to type.....lol .....man come on you know electric blowers are slow I only have one you have two

Originally Posted by cablebandit
look at that spelling...no wonder your car is slow!!! I will post your dyno sheet for ya in a bit.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:38 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just cuz I have a finance degree does not mean I can spell

Originally Posted by ESR
Man I have brokers breathing down my neck barely have time to type.....lol .....man come on you know electric blowers are slow I only have one you have two
Old 02-02-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TTSSZ
Ouch! Don’t let him fool you, he did it subconsciously so he could do a bullet proof bottom end and crank the boost to max.
He seas stuff like “o I’m happy w/ 10.5’s, I don’t need to go faster then that”. But you knew that new bottom was coming.
Next year it’ll be twin 76’s, cause “o I dropped my screw driver into the turbo blade… both sides.” (picture southern drawl when you read quotes)
how do you know when a redneck is about to die? when he says "hey y'all, watch this"

Quick Reply: Cleaning Intercoolers...?