Old 02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Oil Pressure Is Normal??

I want to know what everybody's oil pressure is at:

1) cold startup
2) warm idle
3) under acceleration

I was told by a turbo buick guy that my passenger side turbo could be leaking due to too high of an oil pressure . . . I noticed when I cold start it, it's sitting right at 60, isn't that high????

Once the car gets warmed up, it's 40 at idle, 50 cruising, approaching 60 again when I lean on it.

What do you think, is it too high? What are my options for lowering it? I know a couple of guys have suggested putting a restricter in-line before the turbos . . . but I thought that all that would do is reduce flow, wouldn't the pressure be the same?

- Dug
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

That is normal oil pressure
Old 02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is 50 cold @ 750-800 rpms
40 hot idle after oil change
30 hot idle when oil change is due
50-60 WOT
no smoking on mine. I wonder if your scavenge pump is working properly. Are you using the tanks under the turbos?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** man yalls oil pressure is low. I am seeing 60psi at idle after an oil change and 70psi while driving. I have not gone WOT but i bet it is more than 70psi.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

cablebandit, yes I am using the pump and both tanks . . . I have a sneaky suspicion that the checkvalve for the oil feed is stuck open. I'm going to test that theory next. I was in touch with Tom Porter and he's only aware of two checkvalve failures, one is his and the other apparently is Mike Brown. Both vehicles sat for an extended period of time, as has mine. I hope that's it, it will be a simple fix!

Thanks a lot guys!

- Dug
Old 02-10-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
cablebandit, yes I am using the pump and both tanks . . . I have a sneaky suspicion that the checkvalve for the oil feed is stuck open. I'm going to test that theory next. I was in touch with Tom Porter and he's only aware of two checkvalve failures, one is his and the other apparently is Mike Brown. Both vehicles sat for an extended period of time, as has mine. I hope that's it, it will be a simple fix!

Thanks a lot guys!

- Dug
Before you pull off the check valve lightly tap it with a hammer. The check valve meant for a lot higher pressure systems than we are using them for. Could loosen it up some. If not it easy to get off.

Gary

Quick Reply: What Oil Pressure Is Normal??