Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

misslabeled waste gate springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:47 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default misslabeled waste gate springs?

i am having a problem holding the boost up top that i want. i am seeing 8psi with my boost controler off and with it turned all the way up can only hold about 14psi up top. i can get a lot more boost at lower rpms but up top it falls off fast. i think i am seeing a lot of exhaust presure and it is pushing open the gate but i am really not sure.

anyways. i look at my wategate instructions. it is a turbonetics evolution. says it comes shiped with the red spring rated at 5psi(i see 8), i decided to go up a step or two on springs and pull out the red and goto put in the blue it is rated at 9psi so i am hoping for a few psi more than the 8 i am seeing now.

first thing i notice is the red 5 psi spring i pull out is the fattest spring of the bunch. i thought the fatest spring would be the highest boost but what do i know. i slap in the blue spring rated at 9psi and go for a spin and hmm, i see 5psi. ****!!. fatter spring does = more boost like i thought and the springs are misslabeled. this sucks. i was hoping to goto the dyno tomorrow and see if i could get a little more boost up top. now all i have is a few shims.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:23 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jim,

I've got .4 bar, .5 bar, .8 bar springs (so ~ 5psi, 7.5psi, 12psi). The 5 psi is the smallest spring diameter and the lightest gauge coil. The 12psi is the biggest spring diameter and the largest gauge coil.