Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Installing Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installing Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges...

I have been looking at some boost and fuel pressure gauges and trying to decide what to get with the ATI kit that is soon to come.

For the boost gauge, where is the best place to mount the sender. I was planning on putting it in the plenum, because that's where my ATI race bypass will be, so I figure by putting the sender near that, it will give the most responsive measurements. Also for the boost gauge, is mechanical or electrical better? I don't feel like running hoses all the way to the gauge, but I also don't want to pay $200 for an electrical gauge. Finally, should I get a boost/vac gauge, or just a boost pressure gauge?

For fuel pressure, I know that electrical is by far preffered over mechanical. However, where do you mount the sender and what kind of hardware is needed? I assume it would be mounted somewhere near the fuel rails in the engine bay.

Concerning both types of gauges, is $200 a pop for the Autometer ones a good price to pay? That seems a little expensive. Stewart Warner has an electric fuel pressure gauge for around $80... Thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 01:34 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I have been looking at some boost and fuel pressure gauges and trying to decide what to get with the ATI kit that is soon to come.

For the boost gauge, where is the best place to mount the sender. I was planning on putting it in the plenum, because that's where my ATI race bypass will be, so I figure by putting the sender near that, it will give the most responsive measurements. Also for the boost gauge, is mechanical or electrical better? I don't feel like running hoses all the way to the gauge, but I also don't want to pay $200 for an electrical gauge. Finally, should I get a boost/vac gauge, or just a boost pressure gauge?

For fuel pressure, I know that electrical is by far preffered over mechanical. However, where do you mount the sender and what kind of hardware is needed? I assume it would be mounted somewhere near the fuel rails in the engine bay.

Concerning both types of gauges, is $200 a pop for the Autometer ones a good price to pay? That seems a little expensive. Stewart Warner has an electric fuel pressure gauge for around $80... Thanks

Don't cheap out on the gauges, especially FP, it's the life blood of a FI motor.

As far as placement....Boost gauge...anywhere close to a Vacuum source, easier on the drivers side and you could even tie it in with a "T" to your ATI Race ready. FP....buy a fitting to go on the end of your rail before your FPR that has a side port with an 1/8 NPT threaded hole. Pretty common fitting. I can recommend a place if you can't find one.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 02-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Hook the Boost/Vac gage up to the hose that comes off the brake booster.
Give Keith at FFP a call, and ask him for a "VACUUM Tree"

And the F/P gage to the end of the driver side fuelrail.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

So when tapping into the brake booster line, is that when using a mechanical or electric boost gauge? I can't imagine how you tap a brass sending unit into a rubber hose. Maybe the boost sending units are different than the others.

Also, can you explain what a "vacuum source" is? I keep hearing about this but have no idea what it is. Does the boost gauge and the bypass valve tap into a vacuum source?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ttt
Old 02-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Launching!

give me a call. I can explain for u.

also if u want, when u come to P/U the blower. I can even help u put them in.

Quick Reply: Installing Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges...