Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

to those with a powerdyne...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default to those with a powerdyne...

hey guys, i am not new to the site, but new to FI. i have a chance to get a powerdyne for a really good price, and was wondering if i should jump on it. as of right now, i have a stock internal 2000 ls1. mods include all the boltons, minus the pulley, including a tci 4000 with a 2.7str, trans go, cooler, ls6, lt's, 3in duals, ported tb, 275/50/15 mt dr's, etc. my question is, i am looking for good, reliable, useable power for the street/strip. it is not a daily driver, but would like to be able to drive it on the street. it proably wouldn't see more than 9-10lbs of boost. is this a good kit to have as far as what i am looking for. after searching i have seen mixed reviews, so i figured i would ask myself. thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one for a while. At 6 psi I had to change the main accessory belt on the car every month to keep it from slipping. The reason that sucked was that you have to pull the blower off to change the belt. I don't think you could get it past about 5000 rpm's if you put the small pulley on it. It was a pretty fun kit for the street. I never got a good time out of it at the track, though. If you want 10 psi, save up for an ATI or Vortech.

-Geoff
Old 03-13-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I vote no for powerdyne

Seeing as how the powerdyne kit is consindered a very basic entry level blower i don't think you should get it. I don't know your financial situation so i don't want to try to spend money that you don't have by telling you to go with a big turbo kit. If this was the only option then it will work and probably put down around 400-450 hp(i think that would be close to maxing the head unit out i am not quite sure of the specs). This unit will get maxed out very quickly and you will most likely end up selling it for something more powerful.

On the other hand, this blower probably wouldn't hurt your internals even if you are maxing it out. If you go FI and get serious about it you will need to do many uprgrades to the fuel system, have a safe enough tune, and fix whatever weak links you discover (first would probably be the stock A4 tranny).

Assuming that you have 15k - 20k you'd like to invest in your car then i would whole heartedly recommend going with a turbo kit. The kit that is selling like hotcakes lately is Phamspeed's single turbo kit for less than $4k. Although the kit is not complete it has all of the core parts and would only need fabbing on the charge side. $20k is an average investment(actually it's a bit on the low side but that's assuming you like to shop around and are patient) into a reliable yet powerful FI setup regardless if you go big blower or turbo. You do not neccessarilly have to spend 15k initially but to have everything running as efficiently as possible, capable of putting down serious power(550+ rwhp), and that you can drive to and from the track without worries (or anywhere else for that matter) over time you probably would have at least 15k but probably more depending on how powerful you want to go.

Greg

Quick Reply: to those with a powerdyne...