Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D1SC pulley change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1SC pulley change

Hello everyone, Newbie to the LS1 and the site and I need some suggestions on how to change my blower pulley. I recently purchased a 98 WS6 A4 car that had a bunch of mods done already. I would like to change the blower pulley from a 5lb pulley to the 8lb pulley I got with the car. The car was tuned with the 8lb pulley but the previous owner took it off. The engine has Patriot LQ9 heads already and with the tune already set up for the 8lb pulley I think I am safe. I am also running the 6 rib set up that came with the system and was wondering at what boost the 8 rib set up is needed. Later this summer I think I am going to up the boost again and dont want to have any belt slippage.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 03-15-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Upgrade to the 8 rib as soon as possible, it will save you $$ in the long run if you have goals to increase the boost. To change the pulley out on a 6 rib set up.
assuming the car is already in the air

Disconnect the intercooler y from the discharge of the headunit.
Disconnect the inlet hat(air filter box)
Release tension on the s/c belt by loosening the jamnut on top of the bracket, back the top bolt out until all tension is off the s/c belt.
Slip belt off crank pulley.
Get a set of allen head sockets, use a 5/16 and a 11/32 if I remember right(reason I always had the full set next to me, I can never remember the other size )
Take out all allen head bolts from the s/c-bracket combo(they are attaching the s/c to the bracket)

Pull blower down.

Now get your favorite impact ratchet, hold the s/c in your lap with the impeller blades facing down(be sure not to damage them) and not on the ground!!! Hold the s/c pulley as hard as you can with gloved hands, have a helper take the bolt thats holding the s/c pulley on. Now the s/c pulley will either slide off with a gentle pull or be stuck on.
If its stuck pretty good, get a pulley puller(med size 3 jaw puller) put a socket of the same or a lil smaller on the shaft of the s/c as not to damage it, and use the puller
to pull the pulley off, be careful and take your time.
I think thats all of it, be sure to use a dab of threadlock when installing the bolt into the s/c shaft.
J
Old 03-15-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

SDCE 8 rib kit and tensioner.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea why the previous owner removed the eight pound pulley?

Mark
Old 03-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the information everyone! I did not know if a special puller was needed to change the pulley. Right now funds won't allow the 8 rib set up but that will be something that will have to get done soon. As far as why the pulley was changed I dont know. I never did get a good answer for that. I think the guy was afraid of the car to be honest. I did make sure to confirm with EPP, they did the tune, that the car was tuned with the 8lb pulley on it. The previous owner told me all he did was change the pulley and no additional tuning was done so we should be safe with the tune.

Thanks again for the info!

Quick Reply: D1SC pulley change