Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spark Plug damage > Opinions? * Pics *

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark Plug damage > Opinions? * Pics *

Well I had a miss so I figured I would check the plus. This is what I found? These plugs have bin in the cas for about 4 months and they were there when we did our first run of tunning?

The First pic shows how 1/2 of the ear is burnt off and the tip is a Brown and Lava Rock Looking.

The Second is all there BUT its Brown and lava Rock Looking.

Kinda sure the 3rd is where the Miss came from - Guess the tip got melted over because it does not show any sighns of being Hit?

The 4th pic shows the condition of the other 5 plugs. They looked OK - kinda light in color But OK I guess?

SO what do you guys think? Probably worth mentioning that I have not bin racing the car. I have done several test runs and had it Dyno tuned BUT its not like I bin dogin it every weekend? ALSO worthy of mention is that I developed the miss like 3 weeks ago which was the last Time I did a few Boost RUNS. 8lbs on a STS system - 8.5 to 1 comp, 50 lb injectors and preliminary tune? Thanks for looking, Lata, Arkangel77
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug damage > Opinions? * Pics *-plug1.jpg   Spark Plug damage > Opinions? * Pics *-plug2.jpg   Spark Plug damage > Opinions? * Pics *-plug3.jpg   Spark Plug damage > Opinions? * Pics *-plug4.jpg  
Old 04-01-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

from what i understand, white usually means its running extremely lean. but someone correct me if need be.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know the Pics Look white BUT thewy are Not. More like Tan (still too light for sure) and the 2 burnt ones are Lite - BROWN. I figured it was lean BUT Just wanted to see what yall thought?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

the third picture from the left appears to be caked in oil-you might have bigger problems in that cylinder than you realise.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had a few Issues and what I think caused that was the scavanging Oil pump going out on me last week. The cilinder was dead and there was no way to Burn it off the plug? I think I may have gotten oil in the cilinders when the Oil pump took a dump. Ether that or the fact that it was soaked with GAS for a while before I pulled the Plugs. I am gona check them again in a week or so and see what they are looking like?

Thanks for the reply - Wish I could have taken better Pics. the 3rd one looks a lot like the 2nd one BUT its Black? Lata, Ark
Old 04-01-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's really hard to tell with those pictures. I'd say you definately got into some preignition at some point. But not too long if that was as bad as they got in 4 months. What plugs are you running? Can you better describe the "lava" look? What is you part throttle tuning like, is it on the rich side? Say enough to get your plugs nice and built up with carbon. Pump gas or race gas?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am on Pump Gas 93 Octane.
Part throttle air/fuel is like 14.5 / 15 or so to 1.
Those Plugs are NGK TR6's and that's what I replaced them with.
They are Gaped to 32.
The Lava Looks like > Built up crusty/bubbly stuff with pits and its sorts Brown looking in color.

Thanks for the Help. I am planing on showing them to the Tuner and running the scanner on the car threw a Full run to see if he can Pick out any problems? Problem is getting with him is almost impossible>?

Lata, Ark

Quick Reply: Spark Plug damage > Opinions? * Pics *