Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler placement. opnions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005 | 12:17 AM
Teching In

Default Intercooler placement. opnions!!!

ok, so it come stime to put an intercooler in my Twin turbo Impala SS. Only one problem, unlike f-body's the SS has almost no front air flow other than at the grille so my options are kind of sticky

Option 1: to mount an intercooler horizontally/flat in front of the rad support at the bottom of the rad support in front of the air dam, if i do this im thinking of making a boost actuated 'flap' that runs off of 2 small air cylinders which when boost signal rises above 5PSI they will push the flap down 2-3 inches to allow for ambient airflow through the IC

Option 2: to mount an intercooler in behind the small grille opening on the SS. this would require basically making the grile a fixed unit instead of having it bolted to the hood with teh latch on it, obviously this would also require moving the latch to a new position so that the hood can still be opened and closed without problems, the reason all this stuff would have to be doen is because the latch takes up all the room behin dth grille, BUT...it would look pretty damn sexy with an intercooler directly behind the stock impala SS grille.