Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger Experts help! Belt problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger Experts help! Belt problems.

I have a 2000 camaro SS with a p1-sc unit with a 8psi pulley, tha car has about 35k miles on it. I started hearing squeeking under the hood last week, i took it to my mechanic whom i trust, and many others trust, and had him replace both tensioners, the a/c belt and the serpentine belt, he did not touch the p1-sc belt. This was a big job because the blower assembly had ot be taken out so i paid good money for it, and afterwards the squeek did not go away. it changed in tempo. its much rapid now, before it was a big slower. The mechanic used this thing that looked like a doctor's ear phones to see if he can pin point where it came from, he could only say that the tensioner on the blower is noisy and he thinks the bearing is going, he also said since we havent touched the belt, maybe thats whats causing the squeek. So he told me to order a new tensioner and belt from procharger, and promised to install it free of charge.

This is very stressful, i had the car running fine since i bought it, which is like 8-9 months ago, no squeeking whatsoever, and it just started doing it, and it wont go away. Do you think replacing the blower belt would take care of it?

BTW the squeek only occurs at idle.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:17 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the bearings in the blowe idler/tensioner pulley most likely. You can just replace the bearings, they are a very common GM a/c compressor bearing that most decent parts stores stock. Just take one out and go to a parts store and they will cross the numbers. I forget the number, 205 or something like that.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep, the bearings go out on those tensions. That's just the nature of the beast. Do you have a steel tensioner or the stock ATI aluminum one? The steel tensioners, while the tensioner itself lasts longer, they are though to be harder on the tensioner bearings.

If you want a permanent solution look to SDCE. Spring loaded setup do not have as much strain on parts like bearings. But you're going from $40 for two new tensioner bearings to $600+ for a new pully setup. Just FYI.

Mike
Old 04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by buschman
yep, the bearings go out on those tensions. That's just the nature of the beast. Do you have a steel tensioner or the stock ATI aluminum one? The steel tensioners, while the tensioner itself lasts longer, they are though to be harder on the tensioner bearings.

If you want a permanent solution look to SDCE. Spring loaded setup do not have as much strain on parts like bearings. But you're going from $40 for two new tensioner bearings to $600+ for a new pully setup. Just FYI.

Mike

I wouldnt wanna do the $600, if the new tensioners can last me another 20k miles, its fine. Can i order theseparts online or do i have to call procharger. thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by delusion
I wouldnt wanna do the $600, if the new tensioners can last me another 20k miles, its fine. Can i order theseparts online or do i have to call procharger. thanks.
Call procharger to get the part number of the bearings. Then you can go to a NAPA or maybe even a pepboys(if you're brave) and they should carry these bearings. If you know of a smaller parts store wioth those old salty experienced parts guys then you can just take them your old beareing and they will figure out what it's part number is and order you a new pair. Plus those old dudes have such funny expressions!

Mike
Old 04-05-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NAPA carries those bearings 203 beck and arnleys PN is Beck-Arnley PN 068-0035 4.99 ea
All this info is in this forum...us ATI guys have been through this and then some..I rec' getting the SDCE set up ASAP or you will be replacing belts and bearings faster than you will like and that starts to ADD up. Especially if you are trying to get a certain boost level which is damn near impossible with the stock ATI pulley set up and its belt slipping problems. Do a search you will see how troublesome this is.
J

Quick Reply: Procharger Experts help! Belt problems.