Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC vs Vortech Aftercooler? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC vs Vortech Aftercooler? Help please

Ok heres the deal. I currently have a vortech aftercooler on the car not in use. I was thinking of taking it off and putting a FMIC on the car. But it looks like its might cost me more than I want to do the intercooler setup. It won't take much to get the aftercooler up and working on the car.

My question is that is it worth it for me to switch to a FMIC. I go to the track once a month or every two months. I mainly like to take the car out on weekends and play around. Which will be more beneficial to me power wise and IAT as well since I mainly am on the street.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated as to which would be better and more efficient if either. thanks
Old 04-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Aren't the Aftercoolers Air-to-water?

If so, I'd think that would be better that a FMIC.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

I have the PTC Vortech setup on my Corvette and it is air-to-water. When we were fine-tuning the driveability, the IAT's stayed steady at 90 degrees every time even through a couple of 2nd to 4th gear blasts. To me, it seems your best bet is to keep the Vortech kit.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big air/water is better then a big air/air. But Air/air is always better for a street car. and a big FMIC like the LS1 speed inc custom griffin is way better then the vortech aftercooler by FAR.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Aren't the Aftercoolers Air-to-water?

If so, I'd think that would be better that a FMIC.
I agree. The FMIC will cool the air as you are driving and virtually eliminates the "hot lapping" that could fry your motor that is an occasional risk with the air to water intercoolers.
For the street a FMIC will provide much better cooling. I got my OBX for $282 shipped. Piping will end up costing me about $200 and another $100 for T bolt clamps and silicone couplers.
Learning to use the $500 welder I just bought... priceless
Old 04-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Launching!

If you already have the after cooler I'd stick with it. You have to remember, a FMIC will get heat soaked even more during stop and go traffic and water will always be more efficient at pulling down the temps than ambient air. Only real draw back with the after coolers are all the lines,pump, and leaks. Just my .O2 though
Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I'm still not sure on what I want to do. Was thinking of fabricating a large water tank for the aftercooler that I could dump ice into for the track.

Also I heard that the new procharger twin intercooler's were supposed to be released today. Anyone have any info on this and price?

Quick Reply: FMIC vs Vortech Aftercooler? Help please