Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blow off valve "flow"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blow off valve "flow"?

This is more of a general forced induction question, sorry if it's in the wrong forum... Why do owners of stock turbocharged cars (i.e. Talon TSi, Eclipse GSX) upgrade their blow off valves? Is it because of the higher volume of air entering the engine at higher boost levels? Do the larger blow off valves "flow more air"? For example, if one of us were to use a stock DSM blow off valve, would it not flow enough air to bleed off the boost properly and therefore cause the compressor to surge?

I was wondering about that a while back during my search for a BOV, why do they need to upgrade to a bigger BOV?

(and please dont say its because of the "PSSSHHHH" sound )
Old 05-07-2005, 07:21 PM
NKAWTG...N

most stock turbo cars dont have bov's, they have wastegates. generally if you have an aftermarket bov you don't have a need for another one, unless your doing crazy boost which then it might be warranted. If they are swapping already aftermarket bov's out then they probably just want a different sound. Example: pppftttt vs booooooofffffff vs shpppangggggg. ya...kinda like that.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well 1g dsm's(90-94) owner's keep the stock BOV because it's a nice piece and the 2g(95-99) have to upgrade if they raise the boost because the stock BOV on those cars are plastic and leak when boost is raised. But alot of them just get the 1g and adapt it to thier pipe. Then theres just the rice guys that want it to sound cool.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think if you are going to use a 1g BOV then you might wanna use 2 of them because I don't think 1 would flow enough. 2 is still cheaper then most aftermarket unit's.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve "flow"?