Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Odd problem, slipping clutch? overtaxed fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd problem, slipping clutch? overtaxed fuel pump?

Strange question I know, let me detail it out

I'm putting 490/450 to the wheels with an STS kit on an otherwise (except for headers) stock LS1. Stock tranny, rear end w/ 4:10's, and clutch. I already have a 12-bolt ordered, and I knew the clutch wouldn't last long under those conditions so I'm suspecting it's the culprit? I'm on 42# injectors with the stock pump (new pump goes in next week). I replaced the O2 sensors with the Corvette Bosch ones maybe a month and a half ago.

I'll be cruising at a set speed and RPM, not under boost. Say 45mph @ 2k RPM. The car will intermittantly seem to lose power, the best way to describe it would be like the back wheels are suddenly on ice or something. I threw a couple of codes for "A too rich condition, bank1 & bank2." I noticed that the A/F ratio seems to surge at the same time as I get the "on ice" feeling, often pegging the meter @ 17, so likely going over. I went under boost and A/F sits fine at 11.6-12.1, though I didn't keep it under boost for fear of another surge.

I was having a similar experience prior to the STS when I was running true duals (headers and duals done at same time) but I was getting bad O2 codes and it seemed to go away after the new O2's went in. This time the only code I've seen is the too rich condition one.

Any ideas? Clutch? Fuel? O2's?

Thanks much!

EDIT: Just got back from picking my daughter up at school, and this time the trip was uneventful. A/F was in the normal under boost and out of it, I'm wondering if I subconciously lifted off the gas when I felt the "slipping" and that's what I was seeing? Though the codes would indicate "something" was happening...

Last edited by Bad Mojo; 05-25-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the Fuel... Your Codes of Too rich condition ameans your LTrims are at -25% and causing hesatation, under slight throttle. When you go WOT the computer programing changes and you go into a different set of programming called Power Enrichment, seems your tune is okay or better in that area. Your Tune is off, under closed loop operation or anything under 60% throttle and at idle, Gotta get that fixed. This can be fixed with your MAF tables scaled down or your Injector tables scaled up, and fine tune it with your Volumetric Tables...

Good luck..

Clint
Old 05-25-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah in the tune is off likely o2s are having to dump or pull max fuel, if they are new then should be accurate especially those O2s

if its really that fat its liekly going to start fouling plugs
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks much!!

It goes in on Friday.

Another quick question, I'm running 42# injectors with the stock pump (new pump gets installed Monday). My tuner said the injectrors are running at 110% duty cycle, would that be related to this problem?

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

no injector duty cycle is not in the picture cruiseing around. I doubt that they taxed that much thought, Ive had cars putting mid 500s to the wheel down with superchargers (equivalent to fueling a 625-650 hp turbo car) just get on the edge with 42s

if they are its because the pump wasnt keeping up, thats dangerous though. I keep Moto 60s in stock with forced induction cars for that reason, chaging injectors 9 times sux da butt
Old 05-25-2005, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
no injector duty cycle is not in the picture cruiseing around. I doubt that they taxed that much thought, Ive had cars putting mid 500s to the wheel down with superchargers (equivalent to fueling a 625-650 hp turbo car) just get on the edge with 42s

if they are its because the pump wasnt keeping up, thats dangerous though. I keep Moto 60s in stock with forced induction cars for that reason, chaging injectors 9 times sux da butt
Cool deal, was hoping maybe it was something that would go away with the pump install on Monday (I'm fuel ignorant ), looks like I'll have to call FBC and see if they can fit me in for a tune on Monday as well, no biggie.

Thanks Granny
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The injectors at 110% cycle means your stock 120L per hour cant keep up..... A single walbro flows about twice as much and will support 550RWHP

Clint

Quick Reply: Odd problem, slipping clutch? overtaxed fuel pump?