Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger HP Problems on a 99 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow

Thanks again all, I will post up the dynograph tomorrow to show you guys and hopefully you can let me know what is going on. I knwo the stock springs can't really hold up in the high RPM's but I still think it should've done better than 400 rwhp. It is way too rich and there is no way that I will be changing the spark plugs every week because they are fouled out. I am building a high boost motor with full port race heads and cam and all of the good stuff over the winter but this motor has to run and last for the summer. It doesn't have a compression problem because we did a compression leak down test and it was normal. If all I had to do was drive at WOT, it would be great but all of the cops don't like that too much, lol. I will post the dyno tomorrow and we will see what you guys have to say.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

leak down test shows if the valves are open or if you have a leak in the head

compression test shows if your rings are sealing. It will be measured in psi.

ask whoever did that for you to tell you what the numbers were.

have you checked for belt slip?

i dont know how far you are from wheel to wheel but maybe you can have them go thru it.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you call and talk to Dave?

-Geoff
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Arrow

They said the leak down test came back fine. I don't know the exact numbers but that is what they told me. There is no belt slippage because at WOT I am seeing a full 9 lbs of boost so that is not the problem. I just talked to Joe Stenod and told me of Vector Motorsports, I guess that guys tunes for Wheel 2 Wheel also. ANyways, he said he would take care of it so we will see if Hardcore doesn't get going on it.

Geoff, I talked to Dave last week and again this week. My car has been back out there since Saturday and Dave promised me the car would be done on Tues (yesterday) and I called out there again today and they still have not touched it yet. The Gratiot cruise is this weekend and I won't have a car for it at the rate I am going at. It is just really irritating and plus the fact that everytime he says he will call me back, he never does. I don't know, it is just one thing after another. YOu think when you spend $700 to get your car tuned that it would be right but I ahve been spending more and more money because of their mistakes. It's just ridiculous.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Arrow Dyno numbers for Procharged LS1 Camaro

Hey guys, got my car back from Hardcore last night and they did good. It made 499 rwhp this time on the dyno. It still has the slight studder when cruising between 2000-3000 rpm but I can deal with it since it is making close to 500 now. Let me know what you guys think of the dyno sheet and let em know if there is anyway to get rid of the studder.

Thanks guys, oh if there are any Michigan guys out there the Gratiot cruise is tomorrow (Saturday)

Let me know.

Tony
Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Will post in the dyno forum! My files are too big.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

how to get rid of the studder?

tuning!

sounds like they still don't have it right.

for $700 that car should run perfect.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Arrow

You are right, my car should run perfect but the studder is still there. It shouldn't be for $700 but it is. The only good thing that came of it was that it finally made the HP it should make. The only thing that sucks is that is a hour and a half ride and I ahte driving all that way and then all the way back.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

sounds like they just need to adjust your part throttle tuning. I'm sure you're very happy picking up another 100 horsepower!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

that sucks, unfortunately it doesn't sound like they know how to tune part throttle very well. it's alot of work and you need the right tools.

Rick over at Synergy does a cell by cell tune for his customers. Takes 4-6hrs worth of dyno time but the cars come out perfect!

And here is a kicker for you.... he charges less than $700 for it too.

Keep on those tuners and make sure you get what you paid for.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why are u running a underdrive pulley with the D1SC? think this is were your problem is? it would spin the supercharger less. have u got a 9lbs pulley on it? at what rpm are u making 9lbs at?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoGo
Lowering the static compression is a good idea in terms of reducing the odds of detonation on pump gas (ie increasing setup reliability), but is not a necessity at lower boost conditions (up to ~10 psi stock bottom end).
My car made 508 at the wheels with a bonestock motor @13# boost,
It is now making 570 at the wheels with the stock comp. and a blower grind and 10#. I run 93 pump gas and have had no drivability issues with ither combo.

I agree it sounds like a tuning issue, not compression for sure.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Arrow

It is definitely a tuning issue. I am taking it over to Livernois Motorsports because I can't keep taking my car out to Hardcore and driving an hour and a half everytime I have a problem. Livernois is only 10 mins away and they will charge me $425 to re-tune the whole car and they promised me it will make no less HP than it does right now plus I will be able to keep my driveability. Right now the car is sucking down gas and it is killing my pocket. It should not suck down gas that bad. I maybe if I was lucky this weekend, got 130 miles on a full tank. It should be bad but not that bad. Another thing, if my boots on my spark plug wires are touching the headers, just 1 or 2 of them, would that make the car hesitate once it is warmed up?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Arrow

Also, I ran an underdrive ATI superdamper because that is what my buddy ran and had no problems. I am making 500 rwhp with only 7-8 lbs of boost. It is the 9 lb D1SC kit also. When the tune is totally right, I should make over 500 rwhp.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

holy crap they tuned it bad.

i made 500 with my ati and still got 19mpg in commute traffic and high twentys on the freeway.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:03 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tdogg5.3
Why are u running a underdrive pulley with the D1SC? think this is were your problem is? it would spin the supercharger less. have u got a 9lbs pulley on it? at what rpm are u making 9lbs at?
A underdrive factory pulley (balancer) will not affect boost on a supercharger system that runs it's own seperate drive. But if it was on a C5, then it would cause a low boost condition.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
A underdrive factory pulley (balancer) will not affect boost on a supercharger system that runs it's own seperate drive. But if it was on a C5, then it would cause a low boost condition.
What comes with a factory underdrive pulley? underdrive ATI superdamper is what he has right? Why is it different on a c5?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tdogg5.3
What comes with a factory underdrive pulley? underdrive ATI superdamper is what he has right? Why is it different on a c5?
On a C5, the supercharger runs off of the stock serpentine drive system (the same belt runs everything-alternator, PS pulley, supercharger). That is why a underdrive crank pulley will affect boost, because it would spin the blower slower.

On an F-body (and GTO's) the supercharger has it's own seperate belt from the other accessories. Thus, a underdrive crank pulley (balancer on these cars) will not slow the blower down.

Quick Reply: Procharger HP Problems on a 99 Z28