Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IAT retard causing problems on turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy IAT retard causing problems on turbo setup

Is anyone else running into issues on FI engines where the IAT values are high when the engine is under load? When my boost goes up beyond 1bar, the IAT retard table backs off the timing to the point where it is very noticeable in engine output -- it's worse than not having a turbo at all!!

I'm running an STS 7psi turbo on my 04 Silverado SS with 44lb injectors and a 255lph fuel pump, tuned with 2bar speed density. I put alcohol injection on it tonight to help with this, but seeing as how my IAT sensor is in the MAF (and the nozzle has to be downstream of the MAF), I won't be able to get visual indication of how well it's working to bring down the intake temps

Are all you guys who are running turbo setups using an intercooler or what?

TIA for any advice/response.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 7 psi and meth you will be fine with out a intercooler. As far as your iats go you could get one of those things that plug into the IAT sensor and tell the computer that the air is perfect all the time to make it stop doing that horse ****. GL man

John
Old 07-11-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a valid reason for retarding timing as inlet temps increase.

You can add a stand alone IAT sensor, and not use the one in the MAF. Since you've gone to a 2 BAR tune, you're not using the MAF anyway, so add your seperate IAT after the alky injection.

intercool it, move the IAT to where it can see the effects of the alky, or deal with the retarded timing.

Quick Reply: IAT retard causing problems on turbo setup