Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMU needed with tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMU needed with tune

Ok im building up a procharger kit and am running the d1sc was wondering if i need the FMU if i get a custm computer tune, this is the only aspect im not sure of, well that and what size injectors or boost level im going to run, but say at 6-8 lbs. Will i need the FMU if the computer is done up custom?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98RedWS6MI
Ok im building up a procharger kit and am running the d1sc was wondering if i need the FMU if i get a custm computer tune, this is the only aspect im not sure of, well that and what size injectors or boost level im going to run, but say at 6-8 lbs. Will i need the FMU if the computer is done up custom?
No, FMUs suck. Get a good boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and make sure your fuel pump and injectors are up to the power level you plan to run, then get a good tune and you are good to go. Don't forget that boost is more addictive than crack, so if you upgrade your fuel system, you might as well plan for more than you think you will currently need; at some point you might need to upgrade your fuel rails as well. If you are using the fan that comes with the ATI kit, you can expect some overheating, but you can cross that bridge when/if you come to it. There is another thread currently called How hot should I be, or something like that; check it out. Good luck and I hope you have lots of $$$, your gonna need it.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

do you have any reccomendations on the regulator type and brand also what else will i need to make this thing go.
thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98RedWS6MI
do you have any reccomendations on the regulator type and brand also what else will i need to make this thing go.
thanks
I bought my entire fuel system from Speed Inc. (ls1speed.com) one of the sponsors. You can find the regulator I have on their site in Fuel/Cooling, but there are others; Aeromotive makes a good one, and I am sure some of the other guys can chime in with others that I am not familiar with. It all depends on what your power goals are and how far your wallet will get you toward that goal. If your motor is stock, you will need at least a bigger fuel pump (255lph intank or inline, makes no difference), bigger injectors (42lb to start with), 8-rib pulley setup (don't know anybody with a 6-rib that doesn't slip); SDCE is the overall favorite, colder spark plugs (most common is NGK TR-6), as free-flowing an exhaust as you can afford, but don't forget that freer flowing also means louder. For some loud isn't an issue, it is for me; I like to be able to carry on a conversation from time to time. I think that is really about it, I am sure someone else will jump in if I forgot anything. Oh, I almost forgot. Start saving for a rearend, your 10 bolt won't live long unless you are very judicious with the throttle, but we all know that is a moot point. I think the equation goes something like this: = = =

Last edited by 1bad2k2ta; 08-15-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Boost

Yup its a Domino affect, You will need the larger injectors, then the pump, if its an A4 plan on a rebuild real soon if its an M6 then plan on a clutch, then its the rearend ect, ect. Get a good tune on a Wide band.

Mine: 95 Z28, D1 with 12-14lbs Boost
648 RWHP/612 TQ on Pump Gas
722 RWHP-713 TQ on C-16 with a Race Tune

Quick Reply: FMU needed with tune