Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger bearing sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharger bearing sound

just out of curiousity for all of the other procharger users, does your blower make a rattling bearing sound at idle/low rpm (<1000), im tryin to figure out ways to shut it up cause it sounds like garbage when i go to the track. i might just go ahead and upgrade to the d1sc but not sure what that entails if you have to send back the whole kit or the blower with some $$...so my 3 questions i guess are whats causing the noise/how do i fix it and whats required to upgrade to a d1sc?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. it's normal
2. fix it by using the SDCE spring tensioner setup - this will also eliminate belt slip
3. send it and alot of money to procharger or sell the P1 and buy a D1 to/from an individual
Old 08-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackbird
1. it's normal
2. fix it by using the SDCE spring tensioner setup - this will also eliminate belt slip
3. send it and alot of money to procharger or sell the P1 and buy a D1 to/from an individual
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but are you saying that the D1-SC would normally be quieter than the P1-SC, or are you saying that they both often get noisier with some miles (but a SDCE tensioner would help both)?.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think i want to upgrade to a d1 hoping the noise will go away while i get some more horsies, not the whistling noise the rattling noise...i was told its normal for some cars but it sounds like crap...i heard 1 guys video and he had the car at idle whistling and no stupid bearing noise...ill try getting the belt tensioner on there and see how it goes from there. ty
Old 09-01-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

My D1 sounded the same. I didnt like the sound, always sounded like something was broken. May have sounded better if I had a smaller pulley on there.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Try tightening your blower belt up. A new belt requires adjustment after usage, and a lot of people forget about this.

Typically a new ATI ProCharger will make more noise for the first 500 miles than it will after it is broken in. The D-1SC won't be any quieter than the P-1SC in my opinion, but I don't normally have any abnormal noise with them, which makes me think your belt is too loose.

A P-1SC can be sent in to ATI and upgraded into a D-1SC. The blower case is the same for both superchargers from ATI ProCharger. It cost approx $1,200.00 to send in your blower for the upgrade, while it is only approx $180.00 for the D-1SC option when initially ordering the whole kit. Bob
Old 09-01-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird
1. it's normal

Blackbird is dead on except possibly for number 3. I have a D1 and when I had straight pullies I had the rattle at idle. The only thing that got rid of it was the SDCE spring tensioned pulley. As far as I know that is the ONLY cure for that rattle.

Mike
Old 09-01-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

to clear up the confusion #3 was answering his question on how to upgrade to a D1

and whats required to upgrade to a d1sc?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

My bad. Upon rereading I see what you were saying.

Mike

Quick Reply: procharger bearing sound