Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo guys- Your cams overlap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo guys- Your cams overlap?

overlap:
((((intake dur. + exhaust dur.)/4)-lsa)*2)

how many +/- degrees of overlap are you running? I know alot of people have differing opinions on how much overlap is ideal for a turbo setup, but 'm just looking to get a general consensus. I basically know what sized cam I want to get, i'm just not sure hoe much LSA I want, or how much overlap.

It seems that every shop has a very different view on what sort of cam works best for a turbo, but I just want a general idea of whats working.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

215/215 114
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Teching In

TTT

VERY interested in this! It seems that 114LSA is the norm, I am in the market for a new cam not and being reccomended possibly a 110 LSA. Any thoughs? The logic I am told is to lower EGTs. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Higher EGTs = faster exhaust gas velocity, correct? therefore faster spooling? Then again in a restrictive exhaust setup perhaps that is needed?

I would imagine that a large amount of negative overlap would give the combustion chamber time to cool, but i really dont know. I know for a turbo setup, large amounts of positive overlap is not ideal because of blowby. The question is, what do you gain from 0* overlap to say -20* overlap?

edit: perhaps the negative overlap helps prevent exhaust gas from backflowing into the cylinder if there is excess exhaust backpressure?

Last edited by LSONE; 09-27-2005 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo guys- Your cams overlap?