Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help with Turbo and Intercooler Sizing on 370ci

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help with Turbo and Intercooler Sizing on 370ci

I have an 04 GTO with an STS kit, T60-1, methanol injection. Motor is a iron block 370, forged Diamond pistons, forged rods, 9:1 C/R, 02+ LS6 cam. Also have 42lb/hr injectors.

Currently I'm running 9psi with a WOT AFR of 12.1:1 running 100% meth (10GPH @ 4psi+). Running 15-17 degress timing. Haven't had this combo dynoed, but it pulled a 12.7@117 last time at the track, with 10* of timing. Car is a 6spd with a Ram Powergrip HD clutch.

Over the winter I of course want to do some more work. I know my injectors are going to need to be replaced with larger units, I'll probably go to 60lb/hr. My turbo are has to be getting inefficient at this boost level, and I know the motor can handle much more. I am still running the stock fuel pump too, I have yet to decide on what I'm going to do there. So here are my questions:

1.) Which turbo would work well overall for this size engine? Keep in mind I don't want it to be a "only spools at 5k, top end only" car.

2.) Cam. Is this relatively small cam holding a lot back? What else might I look into?

3.) Intercooler. I am going to be putting an intercooler in the car over the winter. Are there any writeups on helping with the sizing of the I/C core? I don't want to shell out $1k for the STS I/C when I know I can fabricate something else cheaper myself.

Any other suggestions? I don't really have a 'goal'. Faster the better. I know if I could drive the damn thing, it has a high 11s pass in it as it sits.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

-Adam
Old 09-29-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets see...a t-70 is a relatively cheap turbo, not available in a BB version, but spools similar to your 60-1 and is capable of 700fwhp ...it would seem like a good choice to me, but give Jose a call at www.forcedinductions.com

what are the specs on the stock cam? people have made some pretty good power on the stock ls1 cams.

as far as intercooler, i dont know how much room is available in the front of a new goat, but a OBX unit would be an excellent choice for the money, less than $300 gets you an intercooler capable of supporting 800+HP a 24x12 in either a 3 or 4 inch thick version should be more than enough...look on ebay for the obx units, or a similar unit can be found here www.vsracing.net
Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 171 Likes on 112 Posts

I had a T-70BB from Turbonetics with .85 A/R hot side. They come in ball bearing configuration in about any size you have the money for. With 370 cubes I think BB is a waste of $$$. Will spool most turbos quick enuf.... spool any faster and you'll blow the tires off.

TE-60 is a small center section turbo.... TE-63 is where large center section turbos start and can handle much more power. 6.0 litres worth of air will provide plenty of airflow to spool a T-70 quickly.

T-70/72 would be a good choice..... you should try upgrading your fuel pump NOW to maximize what you have. T-60 is on the small size for a 370ci motor.... we would run those on 231ci GN's without even thinking twice about it.

T-70 turbo, upgraded fuel system (pump/injectors), methanol or alchy injection and retune. Your car will fly. Plan on a new clutch as well if it isn't upgraded already.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

put a t70 on it, and for the safety of your motor retune it for 11.1:1 instead of 12.x, thats too lean.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

to clarify about the t-70 being non BB...i was refering to the master power units i run, master power does not offer a BB version of this turbo
Old 09-30-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

BTW I was able to cut a 1.8 short time tonight and got a 12.1@118.... woooO!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Launching!

Default Intercooler

I have just completed designing new style core for Griffin. We just had a popular diesel aftermarket company do calrimeter testing on these cores. They stated that with the replacement of the stock core with one of our new style cores found at 60lbs and 490 temps the intercooler was rated at 93% efficiency. They lost no more then .6 lbs of pressure at anytime. One of these was provivded to Speed Inc. I have yet to have time to contact Tom to find out how this worked out for him and their shop car.

Quick Reply: Help with Turbo and Intercooler Sizing on 370ci