Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Compression choice with a Vortech H/C.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Compression choice with a Vortech H/C.

I am building my block and am trying to decide on the compression ratio. I can get forged J&E pistons that are the stock 10:1 compression that are in stock. The dished pistons will take several weeks to get. I am thinking that the 10:1 may be the way to go. I am installing 6.0 stage II heads which will the C/R down slightly + the porting may reduce boost (i am also installing a cam). If I go down to say 9:1 I think the Vortech will have a problem getting the boost back without risking spinning the blower too fast (i.e. 2.75 pulley). Any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Compression choice with a Vortech H/C.

The C/R should have very little effect on the boost you see. The better the engine moves air the lower the boost you see, ported heads, cam, headers, free flowing exhaust, will all drop boost pressure and give you more power.
I would go with the 9:1 C/R you can use less octane and timing is not as critical in keeping the engine from pinging.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Compression choice with a Vortech H/C.

Thats a good point--thanks--I hadn't thought about it like that. Detonation is what i'm trying to avoid. I don't want to have to use special gas and the octane boost does not seem to work well.