Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boost, timing, octane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 05:22 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default boost, timing, octane?

i would like to experiment with better gas and more power but not sure of the most efective way.

right now i can run 6 1/2# of boost with virtualy no KR, the computer is only asking for 10-14deg of timing and i have 92octane gas, i believe i am near the limits of timing and boost with this gas.

my question is if i get a mixture of gas that is around 99 or 100 octane and want to go for more power should i do it with more timing or more boost? is that enuff of an increase in octane to be worth looking for more power? 100octane is a number that i think i could afford to run all the time if it turns out to give me a signifiant increase in power. if timing is the way to go then i will just go up a couple of deg at a time until i see knock, if i go with boost i have to change the pully, my choices go from about 7 3/4# and then to 9#, anyone think i can try the 9# pully with 100octane gas?
Old 04-26-2002, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: boost, timing, octane?

I would say both.

If you can wait a while I can tell you exactly what I gain by purely doing it with timing. My blower is a little powerdyne and is already maxed out pushing 5-6psi. I am using water/alky to lower cylinder temps/increase effective octane rating. All my power gains will come from advancing the timing. This can give you some idea from that perspective at least.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:00 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: boost, timing, octane?

i will be watching for your results, i am guessing that since my timing is so low that there is alot to be gained there, and if it turns out that timing gets me as much increase as more boost that is good because it is easier to change the timing.