Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whipple oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whipple oil?

Hey guys from what I have gathered the Whipple running at 9psi is almost impossible with 100deg days in texas, and detenation is pretty much gunna stick around. A solution everyone has said was water injection... and I really don't wanna spend much more money on that.. so my question is do you guys think or have heard of anyone that might have tapped into the radiator and used it to cool the whipple down?? Or does the radiator get hotter than the whipple by itself? Another idea I had was to drain the whipple oil and it said to use 5W-50 Synthetic I think... but I was going to get some oil cooler of some sort and see if it would make the whipple run much cooler? Please let me know what you guys think about this....
Old 08-08-2002, 04:09 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Whipple oil?

the whipple should have 5w-50 synthetic in it, if it doesn't you need to change it right away. that is the recomended oil. the whipple doesn't have an oil pump in it, the gears are just partialy submerged in oil and throw it around so adding a cooler would be dificult. also not sure how much it would help, you might be able to drop the housing 20deg or so but i wouldn't think that would effect the air temp by more than a deg or 2, not enuff to be worth the work.

i would like to see you fab up an intercooler set up, that would probably get you your 9psi but it would cost alot of money and be a pain to set up. seriously now, just put the 6psi pully on there, a 5psi might even make more sence untill it cools off a little. good luck.

Quick Reply: Whipple oil?