Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Advice/Opinion on Turbo Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice/Opinion on Turbo Build-up

The goal for the car is heads/cam/single turbo. I'll either be going with the LS1 Motorsports tuner kit or the TurboTech kit.

Heads and cam will be finished soon. Heads are off being ported by a local guy, cam will be spec'd after I get the flow numbers.(They're already flowing better than the MMS heads posted on Install University) I'm planning on a 114ls cam, single duration.

Tranny is a FLP Level IV 4L60E, converter is a ST3500. Should I keep the ST or move to a PYE3600?

My next mod is a Moser or Strange 12-bolt and a Denny's driveshaft. The gears are currently 3.23s, should I move up to a 3.73 or go with 3.42?

The motor is currently stock, with heads/cam going in soon. What are your thoughts on the shortblock? Should I throw on some thicker cometic gaskets and ARP rod bolts and see how it holds or should I go ahead and do a low compression shortblock with forged rods, pistons, and head studs?

Thanks for any advice.

Denz

<small>[ August 14, 2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: DenzSS ]</small>
Old 08-14-2002, 02:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Advice/Opinion on Turbo Build-up

Well depends on your $$$ situation. If you can spare some $$ at least throw some forged slugs in. Depending on your hp goals, you can keep the stock crank and rods in.

Jose
Old 08-14-2002, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Advice/Opinion on Turbo Build-up

I would do forged lower compression pistons...arp rod bolts and head studs with cometic gaskets. If you need to save up the money for that, you could always run on the stock shortblock for awhile till it cracks a ring/ringland.