Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

aftercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftercooler?

I know this might be dumb question but everytime i look at vortec superchargers i see you can get an aftercooler. I was just wondering what this is and if its better than an intercooler
Old 02-20-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: aftercooler?

Go here: http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=16

Intercoolers use the air in the atmosphere to cool the air that was already drawn into the supercharger system. Aftercoolers use water to cool the compressed air. They both serve the same purpose: cooling the air before it is drawn into the engine, thus reducing the chances of detonation (very bad). In theory, aftercoolers are generally more effective than intercoolers, IF the water is also chilled with ice. But since the Vortech aftercooler kits for the LS1's do not come with ice-boxes, I doubt they are any more effective at cooling compressed air any more than an intercooler does.

Of course, you will always find die-hard proponents of both methods. ATI seems to think air is better than water. Who knows.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advantage of a non-iced Aftercooler isn't so much that it is more efficient than air-to-air, it's that it requires less plumbing.

14 feet of air to air intercooler piping bleeds a lot of cfm/psi off. The blower head unit has to work harder pushing more air thru the pipes increasing engine power loss/bearing load. Pushing air thru all that tubing can create more heat also.

Plus the air to water units are more complicated to design.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

yea thanks that helped alot

Quick Reply: aftercooler?