Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pistons/rod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pistons/rod?

I have been planning on installing my Vortech supercharger and supercharger cam in a couple weeks, but I think I just about have enough money to get some new rods and pistons... What all is involved in this and how much boost would I be able to run with my Vortech 9# kit after I got the low compression pistons and some better rods?

What kind of pistons/rods should I get?

My best friend's dad owns a shop and will let us use it free of charge as long as we clean the shop before and after. What special tools will I need to pull the motor and install everything?

<small>[ March 06, 2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Black01M6SS ]</small>
Old 03-07-2003, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Pistons/rod?

Well if you lower the CR you can add a ton of boost. You need to strat thinking what you need. Is this a street or track car?
If your more for street have a CR of about 9.0:1, will help you put around and not seem to laggy. If your going more for track or max HP use around8.5:1 CR youll be able to run more boost.
With these changes in CR you should be able to run 12-15psi on pump gas.

Question for you have a ever built an engine before? Just make sure you know what your doing.

As for pistons i used JE flat tops (forged) and eagle 6.125" rods (forged) and set my CR to 9.0:1. Im running about 10psi on my turbo set up now, but i think i can squeeze about 12psi on pump (94octane).
Old 03-07-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This car is my daily driver, so its a street car, but I plan on taking it to the track this summer.

I've never worked on anything but small engines, the guy helping me rebuilds motors for his dad in his dad's shop, so he knows what he's doing. None of use have ever worked on an LS1 before, but I don't think we will have a problem.

How much boost will my Vortech supercharger produce? Would it be possable to run a small shot of Nitrous with it?

Where should I look for the pistons and rods?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im ot saying flat topped are beter te dishhed. Ive heard both wayys. Some sa that teh flame has a hharder time goig around the piston dish. Ad some say that you should use dished to keep the quench height small.

I have seen a couple guys making good numbers running flat tops and they were cheaper and no wait so i got them.

If your using it for street go with 9.0: CR, My seems more laggy then the stock 10:1 but its not that bad, i dont think i would want 8.5:1, to low for my taste.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldn't you be better off running a set of dished boost pistons? Rather than flat tops..

I plan to run a CR of about 8.75:1

My heads currently put me at about 9.5:1