Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blower info needed, esp. from D-1 owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blower info needed, esp. from D-1 owners

I want to pick up a supercharger and am leaning more and more towards a D-1. I have a concern though. After seeing three cars in town with a D-1, 2 LT-1's and a LS-1, I am worried about the air filter placement. They all have their filters behind their front drivers wheel where it can be seen from looking through the wheel. Wouldn't this cause serious problems with rain? Also, is there a cleaner, sealed way to run the inlet air to the blower?

Thanks,
Old 03-13-2003, 09:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Blower info needed, esp. from D-1 owners

Mines in front of the tire and wheel well just behind and above the drivers side intercooler. In this position its pretty much isolated from the rain. You would have to drive through a deep puddle to get any water in there.

The only reason I could see them putting it there(behind the wheel) would be the hope of getting a colder source of air. I don't think the temp difference from one position or the other would be very great.

I would also think with the filter right behind the wheel, your going to be picking up a lot of brake dust.

<small>[ March 13, 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: SSmokin 01 ]</small>
Old 03-14-2003, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blower info needed, esp. from D-1 owners

And ati supplies you with new splash gaurds on the bottom. I can't see how it'd get very wet, unless you were high speed in reverse or hit a big puddle. But for extra caution, k&n makes a foam-type surround cover to go over the filter that is for marine applications.

Quick Reply: Blower info needed, esp. from D-1 owners