Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo ignorance here =)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo ignorance here =)

I have a couple questions. I think its called a boost controller, if not, what is the device that can like control your boost. Or is there a device I can buy that like can change my boost with a push of a button, or would I have to manually do it anytime i wanted to run lower or higher boost. How does that work. Also if I can, do they have one for the sts sytem. I basically just wanna know if there is something I can buy and installk to where @ the push of a button I can raise or lower boost. thank you for your replies
Old 11-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

there are both manual and electronic boost controllers

with electronic boost controllers, you can raise and lower boost easily from inside the car. just make sure you are setup to run what ever psi you boost too.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you'd want a Turbosmart Eboost2, do a search on it. With your 99, you could ditch your MAF and go to SD tuning, and (more) safely run multiple levels of boost... like 4 psi for 1st gear, 7 psi for 2nd... etc.

If you keep your MAF and use typical LS1edit tuning, you'd be better off picking one boost level, tuning at that point, and sticking to it. In that setup, a manual boost controller (like a Turbosmart Boost T) allows you to increase the boost above a given wastegate spring setting... like going from the 7 psi spring-governed level to 9 psi. This is a under-the-hood valve, plumbed between the turbo pressure side and the wastegate.

Good luck...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by RW99
Sounds like you'd want a Turbosmart Eboost2, do a search on it. With your 99, you could ditch your MAF and go to SD tuning, and (more) safely run multiple levels of boost... like 4 psi for 1st gear, 7 psi for 2nd... etc.

If you keep your MAF and use typical LS1edit tuning, you'd be better off picking one boost level, tuning at that point, and sticking to it. In that setup, a manual boost controller (like a Turbosmart Boost T) allows you to increase the boost above a given wastegate spring setting... like going from the 7 psi spring-governed level to 9 psi. This is a under-the-hood valve, plumbed between the turbo pressure side and the wastegate.

Good luck...
....Eboost rocks for sure...
Old 11-23-2005, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

How much is EBoost and do you really need one for a kit where you'd only be runnuing 5-6 psi and occasionally 8? Or would it be a waste and just use a manual?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going with one boost pressure in my car: it's either safe or it isn't. We'll tune carefully up to target HP/TQ levels to ensure that we use the minimum boost necessary to hit the target, while maintaining the most "area under the curve" for the torque delivery. So I'm going with a simple manual controller.

Like I mentioned above, though, the eboost would allow you to customize the turbo operation to help manage your traction issues. It's also a cool addition to your interior, and would serve as your boost gauge.

Quick Reply: turbo ignorance here =)