Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need Help ASAP with STS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP with STS

I have a 02 SS M6 stock bottom end with a T 67 STS 42 lb injectors 255 pump and meth.Put Predator STS tune in the car and went to the dyno today to have it tuned with HP tuner.When we turned the boost to 7 lbs the car started shooting white smoke from the exhaust and then the back of the engine bay around the intake.We shut it off and then looked to see if we could find a leak somewhere in the back of the motor and then the smoke disappeared.We started the car again and now the white smoke was coming out of the front of the intake passenger side and there was oil around the front of the intake manifold.We opened the oil filler cap and the white smoke was coming out of there as well.I have an oil return line going into the valve cover.The tuner said he thought the car broke a ring or knocked a hole in the piston.So he stopped the tuning and took it off the dyno.After letting the car cool down I drove the car home easy about a 100 miles with no problems as far as oil pressure or overheating or strange noises coming from the engine.Car felt like there was no decline in power levels.Car felt like there was an intermittent miss at idle only.What I am trying to figure out is if the engine had a bad ring or piston wouldn't it make noise or overheat or have low oil pressure.Anybody out there who is knowledgeable about STS turbos please give me what you think my problem is and if the STS turbo might have cause the problem and how I could go about step by step diagonising the problem.Could the problem be bad vaccum,bad plug or wires or bad crankcase ventilation solenoid valve.It seems like the crankcase pressure was to high and that is why the white smoke was coming out of the filler cap.Anyhow I am not a wrench and know nothing about cars and would like an opinion as to what you think my problem is.The tuner made it sound like I would have to get new pistons etc.Any help asap would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:14 AM
9 Second Club

Seen a STS car do that before when the transistor for the oil pump went out. The Oil pump to the turbo failed and that was the result... I would PM Bob with EPP or Billy (I think his screen name is TRTurbo)
Old 01-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

Default STS Help

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Seen a STS car do that before when the transistor for the oil pump went out. The Oil pump to the turbo failed and that was the result... I would PM Bob with EPP or Billy (I think his screen name is TRTurbo)

Thanks and I will pm Billy at TRT and ask him if he might know the answer to my problem.I appreciate youir help.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Check your valve cover gasket also.. I have seen that gasket blow and do what you described. Althought the oil sprayed the inside of the engine compartment.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Default valve cover gasket

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Check your valve cover gasket also.. I have seen that gasket blow and do what you described. Althought the oil sprayed the inside of the engine compartment.
valve cover gaskets were checked and see no leakage there.

Thanks
tmister@***.net
Old 01-14-2006, 09:45 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it smoking on the way home?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default STS Help

Originally Posted by rao
Was it smoking on the way home?
No visible smoke coming from the exhaust or under the hood while driving on the way home.I did stop at a gas station and checked under the hood and found some more oil around the front of the intake and then I opened the oil filler cap and there was a little smoke coming out of there but not nearly as much as was coming out when the car was on the dyno.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Good Luck. I know that's no help but every problem I've attempted to attribute to the STS was just my car mechanical problems.

I'd follow Longrange's suggestions. I've never really talked to him but he seems like the STS champ around here.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:13 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks Reo...
I am just a speed love like the rest of ya. Kinda a noob to this whole thing still. Just not scared to push the limit. There are A BUNCH of guys that make me look like I should still be on a bicycle compared to their F/I smarts.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure the switch valve is hooked up right and not boosting the crank case.
Alot of times you can have a broken ring or ring land and the car will not make noise.
Check on cold start and see if there is any noise. If there is and there normally is'nt, then chances are it is a ring/ringland.
You can also check your plugs and see if there is any damage and check for oil on them.
Feel free to give me a call if you want.
Billy
Old 01-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default Switch Valve

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Alot of times you can have a broken ring or ring land and the car will not make noise.
Check on cold start and see if there is any noise. If there is and there normally is'nt, then chances are it is a ring/ringland.
You can also check your plugs and see if there is any damage and check for oil on them.
Billy
Billy thanks for your help/advice and where is the switch valve located and what is its function.How do I tell if the switch valve is hooked up right or wrong.I am going to get a leak down test on Mon.to try and determine the problem,but in the meantime I will check the switch valve after I hear from you.Billy I will try and give you a call on Tues. to let you know the results of the leakdown test and tell me what you think is the solution.
Thanks
tmister@***.net
Old 01-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Billy

Just to let you know FlexTech does allow small orders apparently......Thank you an extremely large amount for the time you spent a few days ago getting me those 2.75" to 3.5" couplers man, you've gone above and beyond for the orders I've placed.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I cracked my ringland/ring it did almost the exact same thing, except it was only smoking from the oil filler cap when the cap was opened. And TRT is right, almost no noise at all and the car ran fine on my trip home and at idle.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

When i broke my ringland it was throwing a miss fire code and the car made a bloping noise through the exhaust and every time i rev on it it blew white smoke out of the filler cap and dip stick and on top of that temp was fine oil pressure was low about 15 psi at cruz with 20w50 castrol the next day i started it up and everthing was fine untill i boosted it then the miss fire came back and my plug on number 5 and 7 where black im no expert but a leak down will tell you if somthings up On another note built motor for boost is not that expensive just do some research my 0.02$
Old 01-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default STS Help

Billy
Billy I checked the car today 1/15/06 and I saw that the oil on the front of the intake was coming from the pcv valve that is located just below the intake on the passenger side.Does that mean the switchvalve is boosting the crankcase and if so do i change the position of the hoses leading to the pcv valve and the switchvalve.Could the pcv valve be bad and that is why it is spewing oil from the valve and not that the switch valve is incorrectly installed.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

The switch valve should be grounded to the eyelet in the water pump.
One hose from the dual outlet side closest to the metal body to the throttle body. Single side outlet to the opening in the valve cover. Last opening should be for the filter.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

the sts pcv system solution pretty much doesn't work in most cases from what I have seen.

redo your pcv with a catch can per the many examples on this site and see if that fixes your issue. if not you may have toasted a ring or two.