Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wastegate spring problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate spring problem

Ok my car is at LG Motorsports right now getting lots of stuff fixed with the turbo. They finally hit a roadblock that they said they really arent sure how to fix.

I am trying to make 14lbs of boost. I have a profec B II boost controller. They had a 9lbs spring in the wastegate and the car would go to 14lbs and then immediately leak the rest of the boost down to 10lbs. They said my exahaust was making so much pressure, the boost had no where to go but push out of the wastegate early. They next tried a 15lbs spring. Now it wont come down from 20lbs of boost.

They want my input of what i should do next but they recommend i take it to a turbo shop. Problem is I dont know of any and this seems like an issue that should be fixable. Any input?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Run 20 psi and make alot of power!Sorry i couldnt resist.Id suggest disconnecting the Profec and have them put in the 15# spring or a 12psi spring and see what happens thatll tell u if its the wastegate or the controller.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the boost controller is setup wrong. The set boost setting sounds like it's too high.

I love the greddy profec b spec ii controller, but most people hate it because they can't figure it out.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zombie
It sounds like the boost controller is setup wrong. The set boost setting sounds like it's too high.

I love the greddy profec b spec ii controller, but most people hate it because they can't figure it out.
thats what they were thinking might be part of it because they said they cant figure it out. do you know anywhere i could take the car that does know how to work with one?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have any shop suggestions, but if they don't know enough to even start diagnosing the problelm then I would pull my car out of there ASAP.

Are you on a stock motor? You signature says heads and cam...I definitely wouldn't want to be pushing 20psi on the stock motor!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

No its forged internals lower compression etc. I have tons of stuff done its just too long to list. I do have a manual boost controller down there that they have been using as well but gettting the same results. I dont think they have tried it though since they installed the 15lbs spring. Do you think that could help in lowering boost?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope they know this, but what they need to do is bypass all boost control, put a known spring in it with only boost going to the bottom port of the gate and see what that does and then work from there.