Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WI injection behind the Roots blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WI injection behind the Roots blower

I was wondering if anyone here would like to comment on the merits of placing the water/alcohol nozzles closer to the intake ports, instead of ahead of the throttle body.

This is my testing of the application before installation, which I have been enjoying for over a month now. Note the fog from the nozzles (directed into the runners).

Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part but, I thought that because the liquid is not expanding ahead of the positive displacement blower the total MAF would be greater. This injection would not be in the air stream as long and perhaps give further expansion within the chamber.

I have no test gear except a wideband, EFI live, and a good ear (and a big smile).

I calculated the nozzle size based on 20% 50/50 WI at wide open throttle using a 150psi pump controlled from the Snow MAF unit. They built me a 20 amp controller for this application. Ive been running 5.7L - 10.8 compression with a 2.9in magnuson (no intercooler) for about a month, and can say that the performance is excellent.

Last winter I rebuilt the mag blower (MP112) because of bearing failure and coating that peeled off the rotors. Magnuson blamed the coating failure on alcohol/water so this example solves that issue.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Bill, I'm going to move this to the forced induction forum, probably get more views and opinions in there.

Keep us posted on the results!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exactly what i wanted to do with a stock Ls1 intake and 8 smaller nozzles running down the center of the intake at the peak (in overall intake height) of the runners. I talked to Snow about this as well. I would need a solenoid to activate and allow the fluid to flow once the pump received power....this would keep the vacuum of the intake from sucking the fluid through the lines/pump.
I am ready to order the parts to do this.....only problem is i can't get a solid answer on if the vacuum would suck the fluid out of the lines between the nozzles and solenoid once i let off the gas...which i would think could cause backfiring and/or stalling.
If i really had the extra money, i would try it....as i think our intakes have issues with distribution of meth/water at the level i am at.
The only other issues you might have a problem with that i am also concerned with is if one of the nozzles were clogged....you would never know unless you had all of the ports on seperate WB's or EGT gauges.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

looks good I have a similar setup on my 79camaro has a 871 blower and bottle fed really helps keep things cool really looks nice
Old 05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump...since meth can be damaging to the maggie coatings...what bout using ethanol instead of meth...sure ethanol wont cool as much, but 100% ethanol will cool quite a bit, and has higher octane than regular gas....meaning better than nothing and not requiring the complexity of a multi-port setup.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size nozzles did you use?

Quick Reply: WI injection behind the Roots blower