Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

What is the best coolant to use, to make sure things are nice and cool.

Interesting note;

When I was in chemistry class my prof. told the class that the water cools down the engine not the antifreeze (50/50) mixtures = less water to cool engine. In hot climates running more distiled water and less antifreeze can help the vehicle run cooler (90/10) mixture. I little bit of antifreeze to prevent rust and things of the such was the way to go for him....

How true is this????

makes sense, but I dont know....
Old 06-09-2006, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

It is true that 100% water will cool the car better. The antifreeze is necessary to raise the boiling point of the water for hot climates, lower the freezing temp for cold climates, and it supposedly does help to lubricate the pump. With so many of the new engine components being made from entirely aluminum the rust inhibiting charactersitics are less of a factor.

Actually, if I was running a car STRICTLY for the track, and it never saw extended periods of time idling in hot weather or cold weather of any type - I would use straight water (with maybe a bottle of Water Wetter to help the water to wet to the metal surfaces for more/better contact with the metal surfaces) and a restrictor plate (simple disc with a properly sized hole in the middle) in place of the thermostat. You wouldn't want to run with both no thermostat and restrictor plate as the coolant would flow thru the radiator at too high of a speed and less air cooling would result. You need to have some amount of dwell time of the coolant in the rad to properly take advantage of the air cooling.

Personally, I use Evans NPG-R Waterless Coolant with an Evans Hi Flow pump in my WS6. This is a specially formulated fluid that uses absolutely no water at all, but still affords over heating and freezing protection. You must completely flush any water from your system for it to work properly. It works MUCH better than antifreeze to cool the car but it is expensive (around $125 for (4) gallons) - you never have to replace or change out this fluid though - so the cost is not too bad if you look at it from that point of view...

-Jay-
Old 06-10-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also use evans but the npg+ coolant, it has a range of -40F to 375F It has the best cooling ive found. I used to use the R formula but when I went to order more they told me I had the wrong one for alum. I used to run 60% distilled and 40 antifreeze, with waterwetter. Ive heard not to run more than 60% water, I read it in some mag I think. The evans works better though, and you use it straight, no mixing.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much cooler does that evans NPG-R run?

15-20 deg.?

Quick Reply: Coolant