Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who all ordered an OFI kit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001ta
I paid in full along time ago. I was the guy who sent Joel the S80 turbo to see if it would fit.So that tells you how long Ive been waiting.Im not saying that you havent been waiting also.But Im not on here bitching about not having a kit yet.The f-body kit was first not the gto.But if Joel needs to finsh yours before mine I dont care. Hang in there Joel have a great x-mas.

I will have a great x-mas....Thanks

Did you get your stuff? How do you like it?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Joel I got some hot parts the headers and the intercooler parts. Everybody who has looked at the headers say they look great.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Same goes for me this is a great kit!!! im sorry to see this go as far out of hand as it did. I cant say turbogoat and insane are wrong because i was the same way it just wears on someone.On the other hand i dont think laying personal pms and all this out in the open and start demanding on a thread is the way to go either. Keep it all personal because i cant imagine this back and forth thread helping Joel's exposure at all. and if everything ends up good, which it did for me, makes this argument stuff look stupid

Have good x-mas Joel
Old 12-22-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know stuff takes time. But I also know what the cost is and what it takes to produce a kit.

I am a CWI and QA Surveillance for a major refinery in Houston so I know all about production issues and what have you.

I also know for a fact there was not a lot of money spent on your part to get things off the ground IE you did not have the cash to produce the kits to keep on the shelf. Once a customer placed a order you ordered material. Once stuff was bent and welded you set to coater, then the intercooler guy, then ordered the turbo's.

When in fact material should have been in stock. Intercoolers and all misc parts ordered a week after start of production. Hell Joel if your in that tight of a bind send me the hot parts and I will have them welded with perfect quality. And seeing as I am a CWi I will cert them good

Jigs should have been built so there should be no mockup for hot parts or anything. I understand that’s your QC program to make everything fit but dude something has to be done on that if that is the issue.

We are not bashing your name as we know you put out some good stuff. But when I hear you just have to do the T67 swap on your new car and you just bought this badass plasma TV. Also to the fact that your never at the shop working on our kits kind of pisses me off. I have dealt with it.

But do note this I will know ever time you arrive and every time you leave the shop. Cause it should take a max of 4 weeks to complete any turbo kit. a week max on welding,cutting,and bending. Like I said if you want to send me all your hot parts to have welded I am sure we can work everything out as I am hear to help myself and everyone else and stop all this bullshit that turbo company’s are trying to pull with production slow down.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
I know stuff takes time. But I also know what the cost is and what it takes to produce a kit.

I am a CWI and QA Surveillance for a major refinery in Houston so I know all about production issues and what have you.

I also know for a fact there was not a lot of money spent on your part to get things off the ground IE you did not have the cash to produce the kits to keep on the shelf. Once a customer placed a order you ordered material. Once stuff was bent and welded you set to coater, then the intercooler guy, then ordered the turbo's.

When in fact material should have been in stock. Intercoolers and all misc parts ordered a week after start of production. Hell Joel if your in that tight of a bind send me the hot parts and I will have them welded with perfect quality. And seeing as I am a CWi I will cert them good

Jigs should have been built so there should be no mockup for hot parts or anything. I understand that’s your QC program to make everything fit but dude something has to be done on that if that is the issue.

We are not bashing your name as we know you put out some good stuff. But when I hear you just have to do the T67 swap on your new car and you just bought this badass plasma TV. Also to the fact that your never at the shop working on our kits kind of pisses me off. I have dealt with it.

But do note this I will know ever time you arrive and every time you leave the shop. Cause it should take a max of 4 weeks to complete any turbo kit. a week max on welding,cutting,and bending. Like I said if you want to send me all your hot parts to have welded I am sure we can work everything out as I am hear to help myself and everyone else and stop all this bullshit that turbo company’s are trying to pull with production slow down.
OK...Im always at the shop working on stuff. Hell im there thill 10 or 11 at night sometimes. I never bought a plasma tv either. My wife bought a 36" lcd tv for the house. Who the cares about that stuff. If you really want I can talk about you also. I have talked to people that know you and what you do, but I dont get into that. This is not the place for it.

Also I really dont care if you know when I leave the shop and when I arrive. Hell right now Im pissing and typing at the same time in a bathroom at stainless works getting some material. I guess that means that Im not at work though b/c your little birdie is spying on me. This is getting ridicuous. Its getting to the point that it isnt even worth being here.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO

Hmmm... have you built a turbo it before? Sounds like you dont have aclue to be honest. I have built several and I can tell you for a fact that other vendors cause delays... period. I have been waiting 3 weeks for stainless piping to come in when normally it takes a week. I always get stuck waitng on flanges too (usually takes 3 weeks to them). Lets not even talk about the delays with turbos and intercoolers. Granted, it would have been faster if Joel had stuff on the shelf, no question. However, speaking from experience, there is not alot of money to be made in turbo kits, especially for a single person, so dishing out $15k in parts up front may not be fasible. It would be ashame to waste Joel's talent and not let him make kits just because he couldnt afford to buy all the parts up front himself. If you are that confident in completing the stuff yourself then you should have built it yourself instead of acting like a hotshot ... Mr. Certified.

Care to site your sources? If not, stop bitching and trying to state stuff like that and making other customers nervous if your not gonna back it up.

Again, Mr. Hotshot talking like he knows all about making turbo kits...
Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 AM
9 Second Club

Back on topic guys.....
I talked to Joel Monday i think it was about a hot parts kit...he gave me a time frame of 7-9 weeks.....seems like he was being as honest with me as he could forsee.....I think you guys will get your stuff......he is a small business and having to learn the ropes.....tons of **** goes on you never expect or planned for. He seems to be good about communications.......i guess we will all see in the end.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have talked to people that know you and what you do, but I dont get into that. This is not the place for it.
You know no one that knows what I do.

Like I said you need help ask. I have access to CNC machines to make flanges and all. I am not acting like a hotshot. If I had time I could do one but my time is more important to me so I will just pay for a product.

Again hit me up if you are interested on the machine work or welding end might be able to drop some cost you have. BTW make sure you wash your hands cause peeing and typing do not mix.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

On joel's behalf, I did recieve my refund and it cleared the bank. Thank you for that Joel. I wish the best for everyone else, including Joel.
Merry X-Mas everyone.

(joel: did not answer phone, im on vacation with my family. posting this from my pocket pc)
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Some of the posts here are unreal.

Saying about keeping stocks of parts, making jigs for everything etc etc.... This guy is a one man outfit, starting from scratch. Have you ever tried such a thing ??

Many of you are trying to make comparisons with already established business, in varying industries, and how they operate. No doubt these business make HUGE profits on a daily basis, and have a massive wealth behind them. Do you think someone making turbo kits and selling them is going to make huge profits ?
Not likely, especially when they are being sold ( albeit with delays ) at very keen prices.

Like, holy ****. I DIY pretty much all my stuff, and I know how expensive that is, and how expensive, and time consuming it can be to source parts, nevermind havint to deal with all this extra ****.

I appreciate some of you are having to wait longer than expected, after already having paid some money.....but doesnt everyone at some point ??

Hell, Ive ordered and paid for simple parts at times, and waited months. I dont go on the net crying about it !! Not everyone carries stocks of every part.
Thats life in the car tuning world...at least it is anywhere Ive been, and Ive bought stuff from a lot of places !!!
So if you want custom stuff made....you just accept it will take a while, despite what you may be told initially.

And besides....chill out....its Xmas !!! And I'd guess Joel will be working over a lot of it to sort this mess out.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

ls1 kits go out first, gto guys are told that a kit for the gto will be mocked up...

all of this around one of the time that most shops get hit for the next racing season, a one-man show getting it all done and being optimistic, not wanting to be a jerk to anyone. And silly **** gets brought up on a silly thread, personal information is posted for what, becuz your upset someone stole your lollypop?

Steve said it.... its unreal how threads like this bring out the real nature of people. Back-stabbing and **** talking on the net, not in person. Spying? ARE YA"LL FREAKING KIDDING!!! If ya'll are a bunch of babies, than take your aussie built GTO **** somewhere else. Im sure APS has your back.

unbelieveable!!! You think a refund is going to fix your problem... if you need a power adder before the race, than do what you have been told and get a ATI... NOT a kit that is in the beginning stages of production and expect it to be built yesterday. I believe joel has kept his word of the bargin, however, the industry that he relies on hasn't. AND life, i believe joel has one besides building kits.

Bunch of cry babies really.... It is EXTREMELY obvious ya'll haven't built anything custom like this. Even when i was getting kits done for civics in driveways, or my own GSX, it took for ever. I can only imagine doing this with rent, more tools, more kits in a single day, etc...

Happy holidays ppl, it seems like this is simply thrown out the window....
Old 12-22-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wonder if a mod here got there kit before xmas like promised.

Everyone can say what they want about this. Call people cry babies or what not. Everyone was told a set time. If I knew it was going to take this long then I am sure alot of people would have went else where.

I only want one thing.

Joel show us pics of what you have done! On each persons kit. You said the headers are back from the coaters and you are waiting on intercoolers well show us the Down pipes and headers all coated.

I just want to see something to shut me up.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, this is getting pretty out of hand, and its time to reign it back in...

First off Tim (InsaneGTO), you really shouldn't start talking about car projects, missed dates, etc. my friend. I believe there's still the issue of a keg owed on a bet to some local gents, no?

Anyway .. Turbo kits have been the cause of a lot of drama on this site since who knows when, and it really comes down to two things. One is the fabricators not estimating the time and effort that HONESTLY goes into them. Two is customers not feeling comfortable with the timelines that inevitably slip. Add 'em together than you have one hell of a volatile situation. Turbo kits are really NOT as quick to build nor as profitable as you would think, especially when you're trying to mass-produce kits at a reasonable price. You never fully think up-front about the time and money spent doing "other" things: gathering materials, the trips to the store, welding consumables, answering the phone, answering PM's, forum posts, etc. etc. etc.

That said, the best recommendations I can give are for Joel to be as up front and realistic as possible. Answering folks with seemingly perpetual delays doesn't help. Don't be afraid to tell people exactly where their kit is in the production pipeline. If that means you haven't even started, tell them you haven't started. Nobody here gets too bent out of shape as long as they know work is getting done, and more importantly done properly. Once all the cards are on the table, people can make the decision on whether or not to wait or to go elsewhere. Its better to lose a potential sale up front, than to lose a paid sale on the back end. The fact is quality turbo kits will likely always be in enough demand to keep folks employed, so just state it in the clear where things stand. That also means one needn't feel upset if you have a new TV set in your house, as long as you're not buying toys in lieu of monies owed someone else. Looking at this thread, Joel sent one refund that cleared just fine -- so lets all try to leave the man's personal life out of it, m'kay?

As an aside, its kinda tough for a man to WANT to sit over a welder when he's not enjoying it. The more people bitch, the less fun it is, and the more you'll find the time to do other things. Its a vicious cycle. By breaking the cycle, it can become enjoyable again for the fabricator, and kits start flowing off the welding table at a steady rate. Posts that show people are anxious and excited get him in the shop, not posts threatening chargebacks, posts about having him spied on, etc.

SO ... to finish up, how about a Cliffnotes version...
1. Joel, lay it out what's where with the kits, without promising dates unless you know you can make 'em without fail. Post pics, people like pics.
2. Paid customers, decide whether you're willing to wait, and not get fired up on the 'net.
3. Peanut gallery, cut the guy some slack and get off the bandwagon.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Joel if you could please post a list of all COMPLETE kits that have been delivered NOT including kits for mockup cars.

I just want to know how many people have actually bought and received a complete kit from OFI.

And everyone whose money isn't out on this kit please STFU!!! You have NO BUSINESS posting in here for any reason.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSblack98

And everyone whose money isn't out on this kit please STFU!!! You have NO BUSINESS posting in here for any reason.
DITTO!!! Been watching (lurking) this thread as a business owner who knows what its like to start a small biz from scratch....
Good luck to you Joel, keep your head up, and remember as long as you produce top quality parts/services, you will always have a market.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Joel, lay it out what's where with the kits, without promising dates unless you know you can make 'em without fail. Post pics, people like pics.

Thats all I want.

O and brains that was my own car not someone elses and I had a 3 kegger where wear yall

Someone might want to do some cleaning on this thread
Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

List

Kanes2413-LT1 Mockup car kit compelte
Caindo- refund issued
1INSANEGTO- Ordered Nov 1st
TurboGoat- Ordered back in Oct
SSblack98-
white2001ta-
LS1Tech Mod-
ozws6-
transam69230-

Unsure of the status on the others I am sure the list is longer
Old 12-23-2006, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

guys calm down. It's nobodys bussiness if he is out spending a little money. I am sure you will get your stuff. Just try to be patient. I ordered a turbo and other stuff having to do with it from a sponsor on here and still haven't got all the stuff yet and it has ben 5 to 6 weeks **** happens. You will all be happy in the end when the big *** box of stuff shows up. Joel your stuff is really nice , give yourself more lead time next time.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by obZidian
unbelieveable!!! You think a refund is going to fix your problem... if you need a power adder before the race, than do what you have been told and get a ATI... NOT a kit that is in the beginning stages of production and expect it to be built yesterday..
do you read? the gto kit is not in the beginning stages of production he announced they were for sale end of sept.

I started talking with joel back at the end of september telling him I was gonna order one, by october 7th I called up and ordered and all along the estimated times were between 2-4weeks to get one. I never expected it in a week or to be built yesterday.

I surely thought I would have had a kit before 3 months went by and the race came up. but somehow this is all MY fault right? I am the *******, yeah ok. Take a look around, caindo, insane, me, ssblack, and lt1 guy were all voiceing concerns and bitching, well hmm wonder why? oh we are all just impatient ********. last time I checked in business you kiss the customers *** and do whatever it takes to make them happy.

Joel I am not responding to start more problems for you but some people need to read or stay the **** out of the thread. Have a good xmas man
Old 12-23-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey I talked to ----- and he got his hot parts. Like Joel said. I had a long talk with ----- and he said there is alot of hold ups from ends as Joel has no control. Intercoolers, Coaters, Polishers etc.

Joel gets all his bends done at stainless works where he use to weld in fact weld for them, Joel is a welder by trade with the love of high performance cars. Intercoolers where in fact a true hold up as they are done in batchs. Talking to ----- he was 100% sure Joel has no intent to rip anyone off he just simple got to big to fast. So making a date to ship has put some stress on him. The kits for the GTO are a bitch and the downpipe has to be checked. Joel is really **** about the quality of his work as everyone who has got parts can tell its 100% flaws less work.

Anyone that is waiting on his kits I would wait as I am. I have been bitching because of a date. Well I will wait everything out and let joel get things on the road.

Quick Reply: Who all ordered an OFI kit!!!!