Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

d1sc prochargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default twin d1sc prochargers

i was talking to some guy the other day and he said that his friend has a 1998 procharged trans am and i said ok right and i told him that i am looking to buy one and put it on over winter so it nothing to have one and then he said that it is a twin procharged trans am he said he has two head units on it and they both run it i do not beleave him but i was wondering if you could do a twin procharged trans am and if so how would you go about do something like that

thanks joe

Last edited by jegan1989; 12-08-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jegan1989
i was talking to some guy the other day and he said that his friend has a 1998 procharged trans am and i said ok right and i told him that i am looking to buy one and put it on over winter so it nothing to have one and then he said that it is a twin procharged trans am he said he has two head units on it and they both run it i do not beleave him but i was wondering if you could do a twin procharged trans am and if so how would you go about do something like that

thanks joe
you could do it with a lot of fabrication but the dude probally means twin intercooled
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
you could do it with a lot of fabrication but the dude probally means twin intercooled

I agree 100%.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

no he said that it was running two head units because i said the same thing i said i would be running twin intercoolers to and that is when he said no two head units and if you can run two head units i might try this if i could find out how hard it would be two do this has anyone done it or know someone who has done it

thanks joe
Old 12-07-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

That dide probably doesn't know what he is talking about. I have only seen one duel supercharged car in my life and they weren't prochargers. It was in Hot Rod Magazine in a old beat up Nova. I believe W2W builds them with Rotex blowers. It was on a LS2 motor too but it's pretty safe to say that he's not talking about that set up. I wouldn't think its possible on a Fbody because they have a hard enough time getting room for one under the hood.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:01 PM
11Second Club

High Performance Pontiac had one on the front cover a month or two ago. It had two roots style SCs stacked on top of each other sticking through the hood of the car. In the article they admitted that it was pointless and stupid.

However, I think that the D1-SCs might actually benefit from it if you were to start exceeding the potential output of a single D1-SC. Although, at that point I would be inclined to just get an F1.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Always seems that you could just upgrade the blower instead. Now maybe twin F3 blowers would be useful although I doubt it would be driveable. I've also seen a turbo/blower car which really seems pointless unless at least one of them is as big as it can get and maxed out. Although the thought of saying your car has a supercharger and a turbo would be prett cool.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:35 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I would of thought that if somebody had actually done this, somebody somewhere on here would of heard about it. Not even sure why someone would even attempt to do such a thing, other than for looks. The guy was probably one of those people that you can't believe a word they say, but you never know. Bob
Old 12-08-2006, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

I know back in the day Craig Radovich had twin Vortech's on his mustang-this is when they only offered a B-trim at the time. But since then we have soo many blowers with soo much flow potential it's probably just not worth the headache. I think it would be more of a challenge to get the heads stay on the motor with a lil ole' F1R.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Hmm, I would of thought that if somebody had actually done this, somebody somewhere on here would of heard about it. Not even sure why someone would even attempt to do such a thing, other than for looks. The guy was probably one of those people that you can't believe a word they say, but you never know. Bob
It has been done, Bob! Predator Performance put 2 D1SC's on a CTS-V about a year and a half ago. I heard it made something like 900 hp on low boost, but since it's just a show car they de-tuned it a bit. That's all I know.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

see the person or company that will Sponsor me to do this with an f-body will make headlines and can you think off all the money that will be made once it is in high performance pontiac and the other mags. because if i was buying a kit and i did not know how to put one on but i seen that a company had sponsored someone to put two on the same type of car i would atleast buy it from them and i would most likly have them put it on for me too

thanks joe
Old 12-08-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

no he said that it was running two head units because i said the same thing i said i would be running twin intercoolers to and that is when he said no two head units and if you can run two head units i might try this if i could find out how hard it would be two do this has anyone done it or know someone who has done it

thanks joe
It's physically possible but I don't see the point.

On other applications it's sensible, such as the factory produced Aston Martin twin supercharged Vanatage, released in 1993. It ran twin Eaton M90's.

A similar setup was used on the the Lister Jagaur XJS V12.

There are two reasons for doing this, well maybe three.

1. With a large/larger displacement motor you need a big blower. Proof of this is even a LS1 346ci will max out a newer Eaton M112R.

Back in the day the M90 was the best Eaton offered and on a 5.3 DOHC V8 llike the Aston, or the 6.2 litre Lister Jagaur V12 a single blower of that size simply was sufficent to supply enough air flow, even maxing out the blower.

So by running two blowers they could run each one more efficently and still make more NET power/gain.

2. Both of these engines where OHC and they had a seperate inlet manifold per bank, not a large single inlet manfiold like a LS1. This means in respect you could say each blower was only feeding 4 cylinders and half the displacement. This again tally's back to running the blowers at a more efficent state. With a single intake manifold I think you'd loose some of this benifit.

3. Packaging and location. Espcially with the Jaguar V12 there is only limited space, none above the engine. So running two blowers either side of the eninge made routing each blower very simple. The TB's where on the sides of the engine. Running a single large blower as per todays centrifugal ones would have been more difficult to locate in these vehicles. Not so in the Fbody though.

A well sized single blower for the displacement/HP on a LS1 is IMO the better and of course cheaper and less complex solution.

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 12-08-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

even with are intake it would be a loss but a better gain but couldnt you use a custom sheet metal intake and it would work or maybe you could use this HARROP HURRICANE IT HAS 8 INDIVIDUAL 55MM THROTTLE BODYS there goat to be a way to make each one run 4 cylinders
i will get someone to Sponsor this

thanks joe
Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is why?? It honestly would be easier and would net better gains with a twin turbo setup...The packaging for that is crazy but still easier than this style of supercharging...

Maybe you should look at a roots blower with a procharger feeding into it...It would have great low end response and an awesome top end... With the twin Prochargers you are going to have to do a custom mounting bracket for the passenger side which is surely going to mess with the ac and the whole point behind a procharger on a camaro is simplicity and to be easier for the installer... I can see doing a twin procharger if you want to be the first but I don't know if the gains are going to be as rewarding as you are hoping... Either way goodluck and post pics!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

i would like to be the first one to do so but it takes alot of money so i have to see what i can do with that kind of power i will have to get a new engine first
but is there anyway i can set up two intakes one for each procharger
i would like it if someone would sponsor this project because i think dont get me wrong a turbo set up is more of a import thing and that people would rather have a twin procharger set up
if anyone knows someone that might be interested in sponsoring something like this let me know

thanks joe
Old 12-08-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

is there anyone
Old 12-08-2006, 02:06 PM
8 Second Club

is there anyone
Not for an F-body, NO.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

For serious companies that sell performance I don't think you'll find many, if any takers.
In the late 80's early 90's during ProStreet you'd find people building outrageous combinations just for attention. Rick Dobbertin's J2000 - turbo, blower, nitrous, Rocky Robertson's Kaiser BBC crate engine with 2 Paxton SN93's. Saw a yellow '69 camaro at GoodGuys last year with a bbc and 2 Powerdyne's. These are just for show. There is no performance advantage to have two supercharger drive mechanisms and requisite losses when a single is available with appropriate airflow. W2W's nova had two Rotrex superchargers because its necessary for their desired airflow.

As pnyhntr mentioned with an fbody, most of the system would be hidden, if even possible due to space contraints.

If you wanna go fast there are easier and more effective ways to do it. If you just want the looks, then don't expect someone else to be willing to foot your bill for something of questionable taste and performance.

http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/J2000%20Engine.htm

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_03.html

Last edited by andereck; 12-08-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
For serious companies that sell performance I don't think you'll find many, if any takers.
In the late 80's early 90's during ProStreet you'd find people building outrageous combinations just for attention. Rick Dobbertin's J2000 - turbo, blower, nitrous, Rocky Robertson's Kaiser BBC crate engine with 2 Paxton SN93's. Saw a yellow '69 camaro at GoodGuys last year with a bbc and 2 Powerdyne's. These are just for show. There is no performance advantage to have two supercharger drive mechanisms and requisite losses when a single is available with appropriate airflow. W2W's nova had two Rotrex superchargers because its necessary for their desired airflow.

As pnyhntr mentioned with an fbody, most of the system would be hidden, if even possible due to space contraints.

If you wanna go fast there are easier and more effective ways to do it. If you just want the looks, then don't expect someone else to be willing to foot your bill for something of questionable taste and performance.

http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/J2000%20Engine.htm

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_03.html

I agree-this isn't like having 2 girls in bed
Old 12-08-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

is there any way i can run two intakes 1 or each set of 4 cylinders or is there a way i can do some type of spliter with one intake so i can run 2 tbs 1 for each procharger some type of individual runner setup

thanks joe

Quick Reply: d1sc prochargers