Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hypothetical turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hypothetical turbo question

I have been thinking lately about the possibility of a sts type setup with one key difference. The option of being boosted or not, kinda like nitrous.

Allow me to elaborate, I was just throwing around ideas of electric butterfly valves placed within the system to re-route the intake/exhaust flow to or away from the turbo unit. Thereby allowing the driver the option of essentially turning off the turbo.
I know there are by-pass valves in superchargers that essentially allow this but they are vaccum controlled, and based on throttle position/load/etc.
A dual map setup comes to mind to achieve this. Black painted FMIC, piping, intake piping routed under/through a stock looking intake tract, plates in place to hide the turbo, etc.

Would something like this be possible? If my discription is too vague or needs better clarification ask and i will try make it more clear.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

From a mechanical engineering perspective it is possible, but utterly pointless. You would add weight and complexity for zero positive return on any aspect of the system.