Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SD tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the SD game as well. I went ahead and bought a laptop/hptuners/DynoJet Wideband for my setup and have about $800 in mine. I just dont want to drive an hr to have the car tuned everytime the climate changes. This was my reasoning for buying everything.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how big of a climate change would have to take place before you have to retune the car? Here in Michigan you can have a cold morning and a warm afternoon and then a cool night. That would be a pain to have to retune 3 times in a day. I know that is an extreme example but I was just wondering.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoulder Shaker
how big of a climate change would have to take place before you have to retune the car? Here in Michigan you can have a cold morning and a warm afternoon and then a cool night. That would be a pain to have to retune 3 times in a day. I know that is an extreme example but I was just wondering.
We're talking a March, April, October, November tune and May-September tune if you even bother and then only if you're maxing it out at the track most likely.

RIck
Old 02-11-2007, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shoulder Shaker
Read the earlier post I made.

Again in SD mode:

MAP sensor: Measures the PRESSURE in the manifold. Your car doesn't care if the barometer is 29.92 or 30.50. Cold front, warm front does not matter. Pressure into the intake is measured regardless.

IAT: Measures the temp of the incoming air. If it's 10 below zero out or 120 degrees, the IAT is measuring this. So, temp doesn't matter.

Front O2's: Measure the exhaust to trim the preprogrammed fuel values.

The only time you really might need to make a couple "tweaks" on a SD tune, is if say, you're doing the Pikes Peak challenge, and thus changing altitude by THOUSANDS of feet. Then the actual O2 content of the air will differ from the extreme altitude changes.

Otherwise....no need to constantly retune. Unless it makes you feel happy

P.S. If anyone has doubts, do a search for RedHotSupras blog site. He has a retarded amount of info on this and has it all backed up with physics equations. It's enough to make your head hurt!

Quick Reply: SD tune