Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3 bar sensor & electric boost gauge sensor the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 bar sensor & electric boost gauge sensor the same?

I already have an electric boost gauge installed. Now I just purchased the 3 bar sensor and it looks exactly the same as the sensor used for the gauge. Can I just splice the wires together and use the same sensor for both the gauge and the 3 bar? The 3 bar sensor was pretty expensive so if I could just use the one I already have installed that would be great, I'll just return the new one. It doesn't make sense to me to have two of the same sensors hooked up, I'm just not sure if they are actually the same.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Any help?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

what brand boost gauge did you purchase and what brand map sensor? more then likely they are the same, map sensors are pretty common. as long as they both output the same voltage (0-5v) based on boost you are fine using just one.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the same sensor, running them in parallel may screw up the output a bit from ground loops and the input resistance. You could try it, hook it up and find a vacuum pump that does pressure also and check the reading on the ECM and guage, if they are both the same and close to what the pump gauge reads it should be fine.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. Since it sounds like no one has tried it yet, I think I'll just play it safe and use the additional sensor. I don't want to start splicing and then have it not work right then have to install the new one with a cut-up wire harness. Plus what's another $100 once your in FI, lol, it doesn't seem like as much as it used to, it actually seems pretty inexpensive. I can't wait for my block to blow.