Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo choking it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo choking it?

I put a new combo in place of the stocker. The problem is with the same turbo running the same boost (6psi) The stocker had more kick. My new motor is a 402 ls2 w/l96 heads and 8.5 compression. I have not tuned it all the way yet and I am not getting on it . Just giving it enough throttle to get it in boost the way I use to with the stocker. My question is could the turbo/exhaust housing be to small and restrictive? I am running a turbonetics 76 with a .96 housing. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you haven't gone to the track, haven't dyno'd it, and haven't even run it at full throttle, but want to know why it seems like the stocker has more kick?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by engineermike
So you haven't gone to the track, haven't dyno'd it, and haven't even run it at full throttle, but want to know why it seems like the stocker has more kick?
My question was is the 76 with a .96 choking it off.I know most are running a 88 but I already had the 76.Just wanted to know if a 76 will even perform decent on this. I set it to run rich till my wideband gets here. I am not going full throttle till I know what the A/R is. I was trying not to get into a huge explination but some one always has to be a dick.
I just thought I should feel a big difference with this motor vs the stock and was asking for others experiences. But thanks for your worthless input.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

I would think that you'd be able to flow enough air until you start to get further into the rpm, but maybe not. I think you'll see the better power of your new cubes once you're tuned. And maybe you'll have a nice balance of quicker spool with good power, even though you're not running the 88. Dial it in before you worry about the size of the turbo.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My T76 with the .96 housing is choking my 364ci motor on only 14 psi after 5000 rpms.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phildo
My question was is the 76 with a .96 choking it off.I know most are running a 88 but I already had the 76.Just wanted to know if a 76 will even perform decent on this. I set it to run rich till my wideband gets here. I am not going full throttle till I know what the A/R is. I was trying not to get into a huge explination but some one always has to be a dick.
I just thought I should feel a big difference with this motor vs the stock and was asking for others experiences. But thanks for your worthless input.
The reason he said that stuff was because it makes sense. Your stocker probaly has more "kick" in it because (A) it was tuned, (B) had higher compression, and (C) the turbo is more efficient.

Once you get it tuned (correct timing and correct A/F) it should wake up. That "dick" runs a T76GTS on a 383ci LTX and made 700rwhp @ 18?psi thru a stalled th350.

Yeah, the turbo is too small, but it is still useable and you can make big power with it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phildo
That's just it, though! You haven't even floored it yet, but you're claiming that you don't feel a big difference in power and saying things like, "the stocker has more kick." You don't see the irony in that???

If you want to know if the T76 will support your needs, then ask that question rather than saying that you haven't floored it but the stock motor is faster.

Realquick is right, I've made 700 rwhp at 17 psi from my T76GTS in a 388 LT4 with a stalled TH350/9"rear. I've also gone 146 mph in the quarter at full weight. The kicker is that the wastegate was wide open on the dyno and track, so the turbo has more in it! So unless you're running 150+mph in the quarter, the turbo isn't holding you back.

Mike

Quick Reply: Turbo choking it?